• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who sits down and listens to music?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Does anyone here still clear an hour or more to sit down in the sweet spot to listen to an album? I mean, like really, stop everything and just enjoy a good album?

If so, how often?

Yes, but not nearly as often as I used to. If I am going to do this, it'll be an entire album. Probably 2-3 times a month, lately.

I do but with the caveat that it's rarely an entire individual album. Multiple tracks from multiple albums almost exclusively.

I usually take some time on the weekend to just sit and listen to my main system. Although I have been listening to the system in my sun room a lot lately with the speakers I have refinished.

Yes I recently posted an afternoon where I sat down and played a bunch of albums. At least once a week I spend time playing a selection from my album collection. Usually a couple of hours or 2 maybe 3 albums. As I am retired, I have the time to do this, which some might not have. I know when I worked I couldn't do this.

I actually schedule time to sit down and listen to an album, or double album, in full at least twice a week. My current lifestyle doesn't require I put it in my schedule, but when I was traveling and working pretty much all the time I had to remind myself to stop and relax and do one of the things that makes my life worth living.

I prefer to listen to entire albums - usually on CD if I am at home, but sometimes it is on my phone using my IEMs or over the ear cans. I love the majesty of a good song series which tie together the best the artist(s) could do at that moment and time. I also still find that my favorite song on my most favorite albums tends to shift over time. By isolating the one or two tracks I liked when I first hear a record I miss out on the tracks which may not have appealed to me initially but which grow better and better as I give them more listens. Often the song that ultimately becomes the definitive example of that moment in music making history for that artist(s) isn't the one which stands out on the first few listens, but the one which takes time to understand and appreciate.

But, that's my method. I get deeply engaged emotionally and physically to music, so enjoying the complete collection of songs an artist makes is essential to me.

That said, when it comes to classical music, I listen to the piece I want to hear. Often the signature piece recorded to sell an album isn't long enough to justify a full disc, so the label will ask the orchestra to record something usually by the same composer which goes well with the primary piece. If I put on one of those albums, such as the 1812 Overture, I will only listen to the piece I wanted to hear and not always the entire album which may have some avant garde or modern piece the director imaged would be good for listeners to hear.

@Flint did you listen a lot when you traveled, or did you find yourself working instead?

I imagine the amount of travel some of the guys on here like you an @heeman had to endure that would give you time to listen, but alas there is always work to be done.

Listening to music and reading books are two activities that I used to love that have suffered in recent years.

@Flint did you listen a lot when you traveled, or did you find yourself working instead?

I imagine the amount of travel some of the guys on here like you an @heeman had to endure that would give you time to listen, but alas there is always work to be done.

It was harder to truly listen while on the road, certainly not on an airplane were my Spidy-senses kept me hyperaware of my surroundings. I would, from time to time, decompress in my hotel room with my IEMs, but usually it was more of a mix of songs, not full albums.

Yes, when I am home I try to spend at least 1 hour per day in audible bliss...............

Yes, a lot of time listening to music on the plane............one thing that I get to do is listen to a complete CD numerous times during my flights, not necessarily back to back, but this is something that I never get to do at home. I always enjoyed listening to complete CD's over and over. Driving back and forth to the office doesn't allow enough time for this.

Some recent new to me listens:

Beck - Colors
Nora Jones - Day Breaks
Melissa Etheridge - Fearless Love
Deep Purple - Infinite
Lorde - Melodrama
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Anathema - The Optimist
Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony

and a bunch more...............

Nora Jones - Day Breaks
This has been on my desk waiting for a listen for weeks. What do you think of it?

Yeah I'm deeply saddened that I haven't had as much time for listening. (But it's "Norah" BTW :) ) I think I might need to take Flint's advice, and (paraphrasing) "remember what's important about life." Things have kinda sucked lately, and I need to find a way out of it.

This has been on my desk waiting for a listen for weeks. What do you think of it?

Yeah I'm deeply saddened that I haven't had as much time for listening. I think I might need to take Flint's advice, and (paraphrasing) "remember what's important about life." Things have kinda sucked lately, and I need to find a way out of it.

The more I listen, the more I like it...........

and I have listened to it a lot!!

I sit and listen to just music, lights down or off, in the main seat for a couple hours at least twice a week, often more.

Since I'm just getting my system back together I tend to be all over the place with the music. Hell, last night I went from listening to Matalica right to Manhattan Transfer.

I do take time just to listen to music but there is no set schedule that I work with for that. I do it when the time is there and I either listen on my main system in my living room, in my computer room watching online videos or when I am driving.

I've now got a room dedicated to just listening to music... and don't do it nearly enough. Maybe every other week or so for ~1hr.

Back