• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wifi TV ?'s

walls

We are remodeling our bedroom and bathroom and one of the things we want to do is to hang a 60" tv in out bedroom. My wife does not want the Dish box or the Blu player to be seen so I was wondering this, are there SAT boxes and Blu players that can be cable free with the TV?

Theoretically, DirecTV has a wireless Genie client box. I'm not sure how available it really is or how well it works (our wired client box is a bit unresponsive to the remote compared to other devices).

The Slingbox will work with almost any video source, can control that source with an IR emitter, streams in HD and has a decent Roku app. The Roku has WiFi and is small enough to stick on the back of your flat screen.

You mentioned Dish, are you a Dish Network subscriber? If so you could get the Hopper/Joey setup. The Joey comes with a baseplate that could be attached to the wall behind the tv or back of the tv. The remote for the Joey is RF so you don't need to worry about IR blasters. The box is approx 6x6x1.5". There are also several wifi options for playback of local and streaming media like the roku mentioned, appletv etc...

Might just be cheaper to intstall an HDMI plate right behind the tv and place the tv box under the bed, lol.

Considering the wishes of your wife, hang the 60" on the wall with no source connected. It's a win, win.

Rope

There is such a device called a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver. :text-link:

My friend Matt used several of the receivers to show the Super Bowl on several TVs throughout his first floor...

walls said:
Might just be cheaper to intstall an HDMI plate right behind the tv and place the tv box under the bed, lol.

My bedroom TV is wall mounted above a dresser. I have a Uverse STB and AppleTV on the dresser. The TV's power and both HDMI cords are run through the wall to and come out behind the dresser so there are no visible cords between the TV and the STBs.

Wife specifically said she doesn't care what tv I get as long as she see's zero wires. Also the tv is going on a bare wall, nothing underneath.

I think I am going to try Bats idea and try out the HDMI wireless transmitter, I can tie it into out basement family room Dish box.

Dish announced at CES a virtual joey on certain, i think, LG TV's. It would be like an app on the tv that connects to the hopper so you wouldn't need a box at all.

Unfortunately we do not have the hopper or a DVR. I am gonna buy the wireless HDMI transmitter and give it a try this weekend. If it doesn't do what I want it to do then I will be calling dish.

If you can go streaming only, a Google Chromecast would be the ticket. I don't know if there's a way for a disk player to stream onto your home network, but if there is you'd be set.

Eh, ended up buying the wall plates and am gonna fish wires and put the dish box and blu player in the closet. In the end I think this will work best.

Drywall is up, HDMI wall plate is in, plasterers come tomorrow. Now the fun part......

Thinking maybe Samsungs 75"er..... Or maybe a Vizio 70"er.

Thoughts???

That depends on what you're after...best PQ (the Samsung most likely) or best value (Vizios in general, may be the best values on the market) the last several large 70"+ Vizios I've seen have been outstanding for the $$.

I have two Samsung 7100 series tv's and they are fantastic but their 75" model is SOOOO overpriced IMO. Thinking I'm gonna try the VIZIO.

Do they have an upper end product or are they all pretty much the same?

Do you have a local Costco? Ours carries several models/sizes. If you do, head over and give them a look. They have a "Razor" LED line that is their upper tier set. I believe they come with or without "smart" options and 3D...

Back