• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Yamaha YST Subwoofers

D

Deleted member 133

For quite some time I have been a fan of Yamaha YST subwoofers - especially when used in "small" or "starter" systems. I'm talking about the ones manufactured up until about 15 years ago.

I have four of them in my home right now: a YST-SW160 in my main HT which takes a signal from a dbx100 subharmonic synthesizer; a YST-SW80 in my living room which, along with a pair of Minimum 7 speakers, makes for a 2.1 background music listening system; a YST-MS25 that's the backbone of my desktop computer's sound system in my office; and a YST-SW105 that's paired with Minimus 7s as part of my garage "rafters" 2.1 system.

Except for the YST-SW80, they've all been bought used for a song. (The SW160 I bought while in Phoenix, at the time of MattB's mini GTG, and had it boxed up at a UPS store and then brought it home as checked luggage.)

They are all great units - especially for the price (used) - and for the (largely non-critical) listening that they are used for. Bass is strong, and depending on the unit, reasonably extended. They are servo-controlled so it's really hard to get them to ever sound distorted (not that I have any reason to try.) They are reliable - none has ever failed. (One arrived pretty banged-up and missing some knobs; a call to Yamaha Canada and new pieces were on the way, for free!)

Well today I'm going to buy another used SW105. I'm paying a bit more than I probably should ($50C). It will also be paired with Minimus 7s, this time as part of a 2.1 system (currently 2.0), with a dedicated flatscreen 1080p LCD, that I use when doing stationary bike. (It's my penance for watching a favourite TV show: must peddle my ass off in order to watch!) I just had a urge for more bass when watching Agents of Shield, or The Flash, or... and this should do it.

There are lots of used ones out there on sale all the time, and I heartily recommend them to anyone looking to fill in the bottom end of a small system.

Jeff

Maybe I should be looking at something similar. I've been using an old SVS PC20-39 in the living room system but we're in the middle of remodeling and the giant tube sub is a challenge to work around from an aesthetic perspective. I could move it to the HT to serve as a second sub in there but ... believe it or not... the wife is pretty adamant that we keep a decent sub in the living room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DO5W12/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got this recently when i wanted to do more in my bedroom here at the in laws. i love it. its underpowered to be honest, but for a 10x10 room it worked wonders. i love yamaha subwoofers, and sold one to a friend a couple of years ago, and regret it ever since.

next to energy subwoofers, they perform and do magic in a world of inexpensive subwoofers (compared to higher end ones like most of you have)

Maybe I should be looking at something similar. I've been using an old SVS PC20-39 in the living room system but we're in the middle of remodeling and the giant tube sub is a challenge to work around from an aesthetic perspective. I could move it to the HT to serve as a second sub in there but ... believe it or not... the wife is pretty adamant that we keep a decent sub in the living room.
Hmmm... I could always use another PC20-39 if you decide to sell it. :)

Obviously none of the Yamahas that I've mentioned are going to equal the SVS. But depending on what material you are listening to, and at what level, you might still be satisfied - if the trade-off is the aesthetics.

Of the YST subs that I mentioned, I think that SW105 would not be acceptable; the SW80 might be borderline acceptable; and the SW160 perhaps up to the task.

Here's a couple of pics of my SW80 in my living/dining room 2.1 system. Note how it fits nicely under an end table.

PB290005 (Medium).JPG

PB290003 (Medium).JPG

Here's the SW160 sitting in my basement HT. Headphones give you a good idea of size.

PB290010 (Medium).JPG

And finally here's the much smaller SW105 that I bought today. (By the by, it's in great shape and after level balancing / calibration, it works perfectly for the purpose it was bought for.)

PB290007 (Medium).JPG

If you do get looking for an SW80 or SW160, bear in mind that there's also the SW90 (replaced the SW80) and SW150 (replaced by the SW160), both of which share the same size/shape / performance charcateristics respectively.

Finally, while the SW105 is small, after calibration I played one of my bass demo tracks (Tove Lo's Talking Body) at a healthy sound level and it reproduced, without strain, all but the very lowest notes (which were simply absent, rather than causing the sub any distress.) Regardless, there was still good solid deep bass. (And again, we're talking about a $50C purchase!)

Jeff

Back