• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Your thoughts on rhyming and song lyrics?

Kazaam

Justin Hawkins of The Darkness (one of my favorite bands) has a YouTube podcast. Usually he’s almost too nice in his critiques, but he’s pretty negative toward Maroon 5 and their song “Moves Like Jagger”. Of particular interest to me is his complaint that they are stretching it a bit in trying to make words rhyme that don’t exactly rhyme.

(Warning: He does say the word “shit” pretty loudly if you play the video.)

Justin Hawkins of The Darkness (one of my favorite bands) has a YouTube podcast. Usually he’s almost too nice in his critiques, but he’s pretty negative toward Maroon 5 and their song “Moves Like Jagger”. Of particular interest to me is his complaint that they are stretching it a bit in trying to make words rhyme that don’t exactly rhyme.

(Warning: He does say the word “shit” pretty loudly if you play the video.)

Had to look up The Darkness. I remember this one!!
Banger of a tune!!

Personally I guess I’ve frowned upon both ways a time or two. Cant recall any specifics but I know there have been times where I started to roll my eyes at the amount of rhyming in a song or two to the point where I started to wonder if it was a sign of amateurish songwriting. (I’m NOT a songwriter, fwiw.) But I also agree with Justin Hawkins a little about “Moves Like Jagger”. I absolutely recall hearing this song and also noticing the whole “it kinda of rhymes but not exactly” thing; it felt a little off. That said… I actually do like “Moves Like Jagger”. Well enough, anyway. I even have the song in my collection.

Heard a line from an older Vulfpek track this morning that made me giggle:

Of all the fish in the deep blue sea,
My favorite is the bass,
They climb up all the rocks and trees,
And slide down on their
Hands and knees

:mocking:

Back