• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

YouTube TV

Haywood

Famous
My wife wanted a live TV option for awards season, the holiday season and the Olympics. After looking at the available options, we went with YouTube TV for $35/mo. There were several reasons:
  • It comes with six user accounts, so I could share it with the whole family the way I am already sharing YouTube Red and Google Play Music
  • Simplified billing, since we already subscribe to the aforementioned services
  • It offers DVR features with unlimited storage at no additional charge
  • The DVR actually works like a real DVR and can fast forward through ads on recorded programming
  • The channel selection covers the application we wanted it for
YouTube TV is technically still in beta and it is not perfect. My biggest complaint is that the picture quality can be a bit sub-par, which was also a complaint with the other services at launch time. Presumably, this will improve. I doubt we will carry it all year round, but we will definitely keep it until after the Olympics. More updates may follow.

I’ve had my eye on YouTube TV and DirecTV Now.

I’ll sign up with the first one to offer our local NBC affiliate.

YouTube TV pricing for new subscribers is going up to $40. Is it worth that?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/12/youtube-tv-price-40-per-month-tomorrow/

I do not know what the programming packages on the competing services offer. If the content and cost were similar, I would personally go with YouTube TV, simply because it integrates so well with my other Google devices and services. It is very much an ecosystem play for me, but I also love the fact that I get five use accounts for that price. Those accounts automatically align with my Google Family, so providing access to my wife and kids was already done the minute I signed up. I also like the DVR. It has unlimited storage and let's you FF through ads.

Hmmmm .... That’s the same as the Hulu plan that includes live TV and on-demand content with “limited commercials”.
YOUTUBE TV does offer local live stations. You can check the website to find out if offered in your area. I did and they don't. That's a deal breaker for me

YOUTUBE TV does offer local live stations. You can check the website to find out if offered in your area. I did and they don't. That's a deal breaker for me

Yeah, I’m aware. I was only mentioning it because they were priced slightly below Hulu before the change.

But doesn't direct TV Now do all that for $20?

No
You can compare the channel offerings but excluding any promotions: DTV Now starts at $35 for 60 channels and Hulu is $40 for 50 channels.
DTV Now also doesn’t include nearly the amount of on-demand access as Hulu (I’m not sure about YouTube’s on demand library) and does not include DVR ability, at least not until later this spring. Hulu’s on-demand content can be “commercial free” for an additional $4/month.

No
You can compare the channel offerings but excluding any promotions: DTV Now starts at $35 for 60 channels and Hulu is $40 for 50 channels.
DTV Now also doesn’t include nearly the amount of on-demand access as Hulu (I’m not sure about YouTube’s on demand library) and does not include DVR ability, at least not until later this spring. Hulu’s on-demand content can be “commercial free” for an additional $4/month.

When you say, "On Demand," do you mean Hulu's regular service?

Yes
The $40 for Hulu live includes their regular service

That's a pretty good deal. I'm already paying for the ad-free version of their regular service, so that puts Hulu's offering at $7/mo less than I pay for YouTube TV. On the other hand, YouTube TV seems to have the better DVR and has the other advantages I mentioned earlier.

Back