• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Klipsch Heritage and The Right Room

Zing

Retired Admin
Famous
Wow! Two Klipschorns and a La Scala in a room that's between 11'-14' wide. There may be hope for me yet.
 

Dennie

Well-Known Member
Zing said:
Wow! Two Klipschorns and a La Scala in a room that's between 11'-14' wide. There may be hope for me yet.
That's a Belle, not a La Scala!

Hey Zing, I've been down sick for a couple of days and missed this thread. Thanks for the PM Rope!

Don't forget about the "Extended Heritage" line, like the "Chorus" or the "Forte" speakers.

Take a look at this thread over at the Klipsch Forums-------> http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/139828.aspx?PageIndex=1

Dennie
 

Dennie

Well-Known Member
Zing said:
Zing said:
Yeah, I'd like to have Dennie describe his room.

hint hint nudge nudge poke poke

I sit 11' from the right La Scala and 12' from the left La Scala. The speakers are 9' apart from tweeter to tweeter. There is +3db for the left speaker for balance. The Room sucks! It is a living room that is open on the back side to a dining room that is smaller than the living room. In the front of the room, behind the left speaker is a Hall/Entryway. Yes, I bought Randy's fireplace and now see why he was selling it. :angry-tappingfoot:

I use an Audiocontrol C-101 III Full Octave Eq with a built in RTA, to compensate for poor room acoustics and it helps greatly!

What else do we want to know? My head is in a fog, so prod me again if necessary!

Dennie
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Flint said:
My best friend and former business partner did that one better. He has two K-Horns with the amazing DEQX active crossover / processor and three La Scalas for center and surround. The sound of his HT is absolutely amazing!!! He is using an SVS Ultra-13 for the sub, but someday he hopes to upgrade.


Wow, really?? To what? Unless he's just wanting to go to a different brand, I'd figure he's already peaked with that system unless he's wanting K-horns all around.


And if he can do that, he must have one hell of a room for all that gear.
 

Dennie

Well-Known Member
I don't have any current pictures of the room, but here is an old one with my KEF's. The right La Scala is in the same place as the right KEF, but the left La Scala is next to the wall, moved forward and toe'd in. The rack and TV are moved over to the left a little to accommodate the La Scala...



Here's a couple of pictures of the back of the room....





....and here's a picture of the right La Scala sitting in the corner:



They are toe'd in just like COF (he'll always be COF to me) said, they cross over about a foot in front of me. I've found that to give the best soundstage.

I hope this helps,

Dennie
 

Flint

Dog Faced Pony Soldier
Superstar
Yesfan70 said:
Flint said:
My best friend and former business partner did that one better. He has two K-Horns with the amazing DEQX active crossover / processor and three La Scalas for center and surround. The sound of his HT is absolutely amazing!!! He is using an SVS Ultra-13 for the sub, but someday he hopes to upgrade.


Wow, really?? To what? Unless he's just wanting to go to a different brand, I'd figure he's already peaked with that system unless he's wanting K-horns all around.


And if he can do that, he must have one hell of a room for all that gear.

His California house was built in the 1970s and has a very spaceous front room with a 14 foot tall vaulted ceiling and is about 18 feet wide and 42 feet long with the formal dining area in the back. He had to build an extension wall to reinforce the bass horns of the Klipschorns since there wasn't a solid wall behind the K-horns. The room has a jutted out bench window up there which was nearly as wide as the wall itself. The wall he build is as high as the K-Horns and just about 6 inches wider, so it is not too obstructive. Of course, with a TV and La Scala in front of the window, that area is not what the architect nor any home designer would want. But his wife loves watching TV and movies more than having a room which looks exactly as the architect decided 40 years ago.
 

jamhead

Well-Known Member
Dennie-
Glad you're feeling better. I dig the finish on those lascallas.

I love the fact that you make due with an imperfect room....and that your love of music is a priority over things like...blocking an entry to the room.... with a big ass lascalla.

Good for you! :text-bravo:
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
jamhead said:
Dennie-
Glad you're feeling better. I dig the finish on those lascallas.

I love the fact that you make due with an imperfect room....and that your love of music is a priority over things like...blocking an entry to the room.... with a big ass lascalla.

Good for you! :text-bravo:


That's, imo, pretty much how it should be. Music first, gear last. Sometimes I get that backwards and start thinking like those audiophools out there. :text-lol:


Flint,

Anyway your friend has any pics of that K-horn system he would like to share? I bet it's a kick ass setup.
 

Dennie

Well-Known Member
jamhead said:
Dennie-
Glad you're feeling better. I dig the finish on those lascallas.

I love the fact that you make due with an imperfect room....and that your love of music is a priority over things like...blocking an entry to the room.... with a big ass lascalla.

Good for you! :text-bravo:
Thanks Jam!
Yeah, when I went to buy the La Scalas, as soon as I saw them, I wanted them. I can't think of a better way to block an entry way, than a Big Ol' La Scala speakers!

....and Yesfan, Yes, the music comes first! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

I stopped listening to the Gear and have been enjoying the Music for a long time now! :music-listening:

Dennie
 

lakedmb

Well-Known Member
When I first picked up my Cornwalls I played with toe-in a lot. Soundhound and Flint advised me about the proper toe-in and it makes a world of difference.

When I first purchased them I lived in an apartment and while they did sound good, the space didn't allow then to sing. We recently moved into a new house with an unfinished basement and are planning on building a dedicated theater room down there. The room isn't huge, but it should provide the Cornwall's and Heresy's with some breathing room. The room is 15x24 with an unfinished ceiling, but once complete should be around 9~10' high.
 

Haywood

Well-Known Member
Famous
Flint said:
Haywood said:
My dream theater would be a pair of Klipschorns, five Heresies, active crossovers with tube amps driving the high frequencies, a perfectly proportioned room with a full compliment of acoustic treatments and an IB subwoofer array. Someday, maybe I'll actually have the money and the space to do it.

My best friend and former business partner did that one better. He has two K-Horns with the amazing DEQX active crossover / processor and three La Scalas for center and surround. The sound of his HT is absolutely amazing!!! He is using an SVS Ultra-13 for the sub, but someday he hopes to upgrade.

Even better! That would ROCK. The active crossover is a really a must-have, as I don't particularly like the way Klipsch speakers are voiced from the factory. Unfortunately, it may be a decade before I have the space, time and money to do this.
 

soundhound

Well-Known Member
Haywood said:
Flint said:
Haywood said:
My dream theater would be a pair of Klipschorns, five Heresies, active crossovers with tube amps driving the high frequencies, a perfectly proportioned room with a full compliment of acoustic treatments and an IB subwoofer array. Someday, maybe I'll actually have the money and the space to do it.

My best friend and former business partner did that one better. He has two K-Horns with the amazing DEQX active crossover / processor and three La Scalas for center and surround. The sound of his HT is absolutely amazing!!! He is using an SVS Ultra-13 for the sub, but someday he hopes to upgrade.

Even better! That would ROCK. The active crossover is a really a must-have, as I don't particularly like the way Klipsch speakers are voiced from the factory. Unfortunately, it may be a decade before I have the space, time and money to do this.

Don't forget though that just converting a system to active crossovers is not necessarily going to solve any voicing issues. To solve those, you need to perform equalization on the signal somewhere, either in the crossover or with outboard EQ of some kind.
 
Top