• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker time

Here are the pedestals that will get attached to the bottom of the cabinets. One with some finishing oil and one without. This gives you an idea of what the speakers will look like after the finish is applied.
base.jpg

How do you glue the veneers on, a vacuum bag, contact cement, or cauls?
Anxious to see the final products!

How do you glue the veneers on, a vacuum bag, contact cement, or cauls?
Anxious to see the final products!
I use Heat Lock glue. You roll it on the veneer and the cabinet. You let it dry and then, position the veneer where you want it and reactivate the glue with an iron.

Those are gorgeous. Man, I may actually come down to see and hear those suckers.
Sure thing. These should be ready in a couple weeks. I had to order some more Liberon Finishing Oil, so it will take a few day before I can finish the cabinets. Then install the drivers and do some break in.

Near as I can tell from the Klipsch web site, you are making a dimensionally-accurate copy. Correct?

Any personal design tweaks planned?

I have fond memories of the first time I ever listened to Cornwalls.

Jeff

I use Heat Lock glue. You roll it on the veneer and the cabinet. You let it dry and then, position the veneer where you want it and reactivate the glue with an iron.
I didn't realize the glue was available separately, cool!
I had to use 3/4" walnut plywood for the vertical sides of my CD case, as I couldn't find 4/4 walnut straight and long (7') enough. I used pre-glued "iron-on" 3/4" walnut tape on the edges, and it worked fine (having years of MonoKote ironing experience from my model airplane days helped). The tape, and the plywood faces, took the finish (orange shellac) equally, and they look like solid wood together. The base, top, and shelves of the cabinet were solid walnut, and came out much darker than the sides, but the mismatch doesn't really look too bad.

Near as I can tell from the Klipsch web site, you are making a dimensionally-accurate copy. Correct?

Any personal design tweaks planned?

I have fond memories of the first time I ever listened to Cornwalls.

Jeff
They are exact copies of the Cornwall III. The factory builds these using MDF. I built these using 3/4" Baltic Birch. They use 2x4's for internal bracing. I made a custom one piece internal brace.
bracein.jpg

Luther, we've had some (private) conversations in the past that have uncovered some shared similarities in our lives that have perhaps made us closer, most notably with our fathers, but I have to say something and I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I fucking hate you!

Veneer that, Bitch!

Luther, we've had some (private) conversations in the past that have uncovered some shared similarities in our lives that have perhaps made us closer, most notably with our fathers, but I have to say something and I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I fucking hate you!

Veneer that, Bitch!
You just made my day.

Back