• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

YouTube and "free" viewing is changing of late

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Not sure you guys have noticed, but YouTube started putting advertisements at the beginning of nearly all videos a long time ago, but after a few seconds you could almost always skip to the content you chose to watch.

I watch a ton of YouTube videos, mostly captures of live shows I don't have access to on my streaming services and tons of British comedies and quiz shows. So, I experience how they insert ads quite a bit.

Starting this week I realized that every single video I chose to watch had ads in front of them, and almost none of them allowed me to skip over the ad until it finished playing. Until recently, only very short ads were like that, but now it is happening with longer ads, including one which was over a minute long - which seems like an eternity.

My curiosity is whether this is the new norm. "Free" content on YouTube appears to be going the direction of broadcast television where an hour of viewing is actually about 42 minutes of entertainment and 18 minutes of advertising.

My understanding is that the person putting the content on YT has some level of control how ads are presented (whether they can be skipped, appear at the beginning and/or at various times during playback) and that YT pays it content providers based in large part on those settings.

And seeing how much of the content on YT is there in oreder to generate revenue for the one posting it ... that the incentive to play more and not allow skipping is only going to increase.

My understanding is that the person putting the content on YT has some level of control how ads are presented (whether they can be skipped, appear at the beginning and/or at various times during playback) and that YT pays it content providers based in large part on those settings.

And seeing how much of the content on YT is there in oreder to generate revenue for the one posting it ... that the incentive to play more and not allow skipping is only going to increase.

It depends on a content creator's status as to how much control they get. Until you have about 100,000 subscribers, you have very little control on the advertising on the page or at the beginning of videos. Ads during the video are always optionally controlled by the content creator. If you don't want to get paid at all, you can choose to not have any ads in the middle of your videos, but you cannot control the beginning advertisements. That's why the opening ads are almost always huge national brands or political ads purchased by huge national advertising companies.

My stepson makes his living off social media video content, so I get lessons from him as I see changes. He said this is actually a new policy by YouTube.

One correction, if you are a company posting videos intended solely as marketing, you can control whether an ad appears at the beginning of your video, but you are also paying YouTube to promote your videos already.

I have not noticed it that much but it does happen from time to time.

What I have noticed are ads in the middle of the video I'm watching. This started last week some time.

I don't know, because I've had YouTube Red for a couple years now and don't have to watch ads. I personally think it is a really good deal. I get up to five user accounts for $15/mo and that includes both YouTube and Google Play Music (they are re-branding all this stuff to YouTube Premium and YouTube Music).

I have not noticed it that much but it does happen from time to time.

What I have noticed are ads in the middle of the video I'm watching. This started last week some time.

I've noticed this for several months now. It's not enough they show ads at the beginning of videos, now they put 2-4 ads throughout the duration of the video *roll eyes*

I don’t watch much YouTube but yesterday I did spend a little time watching three or four videos on a channel that I’ve watched a lot before. The channel always had ads at the beginning but now there were at least two non-skippable ads inserted during the video.
This bums me out but I understand the need to monetize content.

I’m a big time fan or you tube. I spend 1-2 hours today going through KOL, Black Dub, Muse, and Beth Hart. I use it for concert cuts an a lot of DIY info.

Back on topic - the ads are driving me bananas but I’m not ready to add another subscription service to my list.

I’m a big time fan or you tube. I spend 1-2 hours today going through KOL, Black Dub, Muse, and Beth Hart. I use it for concert cuts an a lot of DIY info.

Back on topic - the ads are driving me bananas but I’m not ready to add another subscription service to my list.

I guess it comes down to how much they are driving you nuts. YouTube Premium includes Google's music service. If you are using a competing music subscription, you could swap it out for Google's and break even.

Holy Crap............Bob R.................how in the hell are you doing?? Glad to see you back on here!!

^^What Heeman said~Welcome back!

I enjoy YouTube~but I agree with the others, and their comments about the ads~when I do get time to chill & take some down time with my devices, it drives me crazy that my time is being wasted by crap that I really don’t care about.

I already am not one who likes to watch a lot of internet videos. If I start one and see an unskippable ad, about 75% of the time I just close the video and go on with my life.

I get that content providers and distributors need to be paid- I do. Thing is, they can only monetize things to the point that it's worth it to the viewer. If I am trying to watch a video that has about 15 seconds of interesting stuff, I'm NOT going to watch a 30 second video to get there.

The beauty of youtube is not the stupid internet videos, it is the high quality original programming being created by numerous parties. I especially enjoy the wealth of short-form documentaries from channels like Rare Earth. There is also music on youtube that just doesn't exist anywhere else. It is also a great substitute for channel surfing for those of us who gave up on regular television. I would estimate that my family as a whole consumes over 40 hours of youtube a month.

I use YouTube to watch the shows I cannot get via streaming or because I am in the USA like certain British, Canadian and Australian programs, as well as replays of some of the news programs I like such as The Greg Gutfeld Show and The Next Revolution.

Surprised nobody is bitching about the new ads in Facebook videos. At least with Youtube you can stop the ad if you want to, Facebook doesn't give you that option. I'm getting to like Facebook less and less everyday.

Back