• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustically recorded 78rpm disks

Well, that was interesting. The live recording on the cell phone camera, sounded pretty good. Then you have the playback of the 78 mmmmm, let me see here. You have high surface noise, sound seems very compressed (but hey it's done un-amplified analog so it must be good), various noises coming from the Victrola itself. So yeah it pretty much sounds like crap, relatively speaking. It would be different if it improved the sound somehow, but it doesn't.

I was hoping the modern turntable would improve things a lot, it did not. Well except no Victrola noise's, it's interesting as showing the limits of older recording methods and how things were done, but that's about it for me.

Well, that was interesting. The live recording on the cell phone camera, sounded pretty good. Then you have the playback of the 78 mmmmm, let me see here. You have high surface noise, sound seems very compressed (but hey it's done un-amplified analog so it must be good), various noises coming from the Victrola itself. So yeah it pretty much sounds like crap, relatively speaking. It would be different if it improved the sound somehow, but it doesn't.

I was hoping the modern turntable would improve things a lot, it did not. Well except no Victrola noise's, it's interesting as showing the limits of older recording methods and how things were done, but that's about it for me.

The recording is probably perfect, only they goofed by not replaying it over the Bose Accoustiwave Victrola.

Back