• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

If just 5.1 speaker setup, does Dolby Atmos do anything?

Kazaam

Like would a home theater receiver set up with a traditional 5.1 speaker placement from 20 years ago get any benefit from Dolby Atmos?

Admittedly, I’m not entirely sure what Dolby Atmos does. Like single wireless speakers can sometimes claim Dolby Atmos. And then I think maybe extra discrete height speakers might could be Dolby Atmos? (Not sure, honestly.). I guess live in a world where a 5.1 setup is good enough for me. Heck, just a stereo soundbar is probably good enough.

A good question and I'd like to tack on a related question: If I play a Dolby Atmos disk (4K) in my 200-series Oppo players, thru a similar 20-yr-old 5.1 speaker system, will it play in 5.1, revert to stereo, or just not play at all?
Deets: my Oppos do not feature Atmos nor 4K, nor does my receiver, but my new Bravia does (since getting the newest AppleTV I did up my EweTubeTV streaming service to 4K, but almost nothing online is 4K and I couldn't see a difference during the Superb Owl ; no sense in paying an extra $5/mo if I can't see it).

Like would a home theater receiver set up with a traditional 5.1 speaker placement from 20 years ago get any benefit from Dolby Atmos?

Without "overhead" speakers there is no benefit.

If I play a Dolby Atmos disk (4K) in my 200-series Oppo players, thru a similar 20-yr-old 5.1 speaker system, will it play in 5.1, revert to stereo, or just not play at all?

Assuming your receiver is set to 5.1 you'll get 5.1. The Dolby Atmos format is backwards compatible so the 5.1 format is embedded.

Deets: my Oppos do not feature Atmos nor 4K, nor does my receiver, but my new Bravia does (since getting the newest AppleTV I did up my EweTubeTV streaming service to 4K, but almost nothing online is 4K and I couldn't see a difference during the Superb Owl ; no sense in paying an extra $5/mo if I can't see it).

LINK
Decoding and rendering of Dolby Atmos content is managed entirely by the A/V receiver.

The UDP-20x series of players are capable of bitstreaming Dolby Atmos content to a receiver that is capable of decoding Dolby Atmos. In order to ensure that the audio is being output appropriately from the OPPO player, please use the following settings:
Change HDMI Audio to Bitstream
1. Go to the Setup Menu and then Audio Format Setup.
2. Select HDMI Audio and choose Bitstream.
Ensure That Secondary Audio is Off
1. Go to the Setup Menu and then Audio Format Setup.
2. Select Secondary Audio and choose Off.

OPPO UDP-203 LINK
Advanced Audio Formats
With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-203 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music

Back