• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New to me HR824 on the way

The DirtMerchant

Famous
I only have 4.1 speakers (Front L/R and Rear L/R and the sub). I know...what kind of A/V Enthusiast/Audio Annexer am I?
One that never got around to buying the front channel.
I haven't thought about it much in the last decade honestly. But watching Civil War in the theater was...aurally, pretty damn awesome.
I was telling my son about it and said he should definitely watch it in the "HT" when its available if he doesn't watch it in the theatre.
Then, I happened to be in the basement where the HT is and decided to watch the recording of the last F1 race in China. The LFE when cars
go by the edge cameras...CRAZY.

BUT...the commentating? Sounding like they were talking in a soda can. It was AWFUL. I haven't really noticed it too much in movies...but this was real bad.
I would guess that's because its intended for the Center speaker.
I switched around modes and All Channel Stereo made their voices sound normal. Anyway, that got me on to EBAY checking how much another Mackie HR824 was.
And...they aren't too bad ($250+), but shipping makes it tough. And mostly they are pairs ($400+) and I just need one. Also, shipping stacks up the price (extra $50 at the cheapest I saw).
I did a regular Google search...and used gear at Guitar Center showed up. Someone had the cheapest price ($160) I could find and shipping to the local store was $19.99.
I could have shipped it to myself, but I think there is some security if I ship it to the store and it doesn't work...I can return it.

Anyway, $191 all in with shipping and tax. That is one hell of a deal.

New to me Center Channel on the way!

Ha, I still only have a 4-channel system in my HT, despite having a center channel speaker (Flint's old original MTMs). I just didn't have room in my small HT for the center channel speaker, and I haven't really missed it. I sit mostly in the center of the room anyway, we don't often have multiple people in here, so it hasn't mattered much.

Ha, I still only have a 4-channel system in my HT, despite having a center channel speaker (Flint's old original MTMs). I just didn't have room in my small HT for the center channel speaker, and I haven't really missed it. I sit mostly in the center of the room anyway, we don't often have multiple people in here, so it hasn't mattered much.
I was the same (its been 19 years!) and it never bothered me and it was actually pretty good.
But $160 w/ a 45 day return policy...I couldn't pass it up.

Boy I'm stupid.
I picked up the new to me HR824. Its not in a great state (bumps bruises and scratches). But no obvious damage to the woofer, only the cabinet.
Had to buy a power cord. Plugged it all in and it turns on and makes the expected noises. WOO HOO! $191 including shipping! What a deal.
But the stupid part...I plugged it in as the L front. As soon as I turned it on and heard regular volume/audio, I realized immediately that my Front L/R the woofers are blown!
Or at least electronics are damaged and nothing is going to the woofers. Should have been obvious to me from the start. That's why audio sounded like a tin can, only the tweeters were firing. Thanks to my HS age son and his "hangouts" where he nor his friends want to be able to hear while they scream at each other over the music.

I got over the anger...well...at least I'm keeping it bottled up.

But now...I called an authorized Mackie service spot...$150 minimum to repair if its amp side, $250+ if the woofer needs to be replaced and the woofer is ~$100 (but the guy hasn't worked on one since 2016 so prices for the woofer could be very different). Or I consider more "new to me" HR824s. I still have 2 that function well. I don't think I want to change my speaker choice. I see some on Guitar Center in "Great" condition for $249/.

I think I'm going to have to move the Rears to the Front and put the Fronts on Injured Reserve and let these sit until at least Christmas before I make a decision.
Seems like, electronic fix at $150 ea...I do that. Anything at the higher choices would push me towards "replace the whole unit w/ new to me if I can find a deal on Guitar Center or ebay". Le Sigh.

I really don't like piling up "things to spend money on in the future"...the list is long, but distinguished.

Back