• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

“Believe It or Not” - One of the worst music videos

Kazaam

tl;dr - it’s the two ladies

Joey Scarbury sings about life being awesome after falling in love. Rarely can you see his face, but he (or so who kind do looks like him) wears a cape and skin-tight super hero pajama suit as a nod to this song‘s use as the theme music to the Stephen J. Cannell created (and legendary) TV show, “The Greatest American Hero”, of which we see plenty of footage.

Lyrically the song only fits into the show’s premise at times and on an incomplete mere surface level. For instance, whilst the character of Ralph Hinkley may be ”walking on air” via flight, it can be argued he isn’t having “all of his wishes come true” seeing as how he is conflicted in the pilot episode and frankly wishes he had never been gifted the suit as it complicates his child custody rights, as well as upends the relationship with a woman he hopes to marry.

However, with that said, the thing that makes this such a bad music video are the head shots of the two ladies. They keep rolling their eyes and tossing their heads in such dismissive ways. In the ladies first appearance I think they’re unimpressed with Hinkley’s inability to fully control the suit since he’s such a bad flyer. Not very nice of them, but it makes sense. But after that almost every cutaway to a screenshot of the two ladies seems to be disconnected to anything else being shown in the video. I don’t know why we keep seeing them. It’s like the director just told the gals to kind of look bitchy. And to hope it all somehow works out in the end. Well… it doesn’t. It just makes them look like horrible people.

I still love the song and the show, though! :cool:

Last edited:
^^^Is that a remake of the original? I thought the great Mike Post sang the original theme song. Pretty sure one of those ladies was also in the first season of Night Court, being replaced by Markie Post the next season. Loved the show as well.

Worst music videos?

I see your Walking on Air and raise you Dancing in the Streets

^^^Is that a remake of the original? I thought the great Mike Post sang the original theme song. Pretty sure one of those ladies was also in the first season of Night Court, being replaced by Markie Post the next season. Loved the show as well.
I think Mike Post (along with Stephen Guyer) just wrote the song? Joey Scarbury was the original singer.
Not sure if the woman you are talking about is in fact Ellen Foley in the video or not. Pilot episode of Night Court was one actress, followed by another for season one, then Ellen Foley in season 2 and Markie Post for remainder.
I'm bored so I googled!!

Mirrors, tinfoil, Dippidee-Doo, stunning keyboard technique.
And two irritating chicks.

I think Mike Post (along with Stephen Guyer) just wrote the song? Joey Scarbury was the original singer.
Not sure if the woman you are talking about is in fact Ellen Foley in the video or not. Pilot episode of Night Court was one actress, followed by another for season one, then Ellen Foley in season 2 and Markie Post for remainder.
I'm bored so I googled!!
I forgot about the other lady before Ellen. Glad they finally settled on Markie though. He didn't have a crush on her in the 80's?

Worst music videos?

I see your Walking on Air and raise you Dancing in the Streets

I remember liking this song/video as a kid. Probably recorded it onto a cassette by holding a tape recorder up to the TV. The M-TV, that is! Alas as good as some aspects of 80s culture were, it certainly had a few missteps. Mick Jagger helping to remake “Dancing In The Streets” probably being one of them. Almost certainly there were some fans of 60-era Rolling Stones who couldn’t stand this song. It seems almost sacrilege to see the rocker basically singing pop. Then again wasn’t there a Stones disco album? Illusion was already shot. And I can’t hate this video due to my nostalgia. But will admit it is, in fact, pretty f‘n bad.

Mirrors, tinfoil, Dippidee-Doo, stunning keyboard technique.
And two irritating chicks.

Bad? Nah… that’s f’n genius!!! And awesome. OK... It‘s bad. The two random chicks wearing too much makeup seal the deal. But which chicks are hotter? The Seagulls videos chicks or Joey Scarbury’s videos chicks?

Bad? Nah… that’s f’n genius!!! And awesome. OK... It‘s bad. The two random chicks wearing too much makeup seal the deal. But which chicks are hotter? The Seagulls videos chicks or Joey Scarbury’s videos chicks?
Same guy...decades later. I have gone down the radio hole on this Behind the Vinyl Youtube channel. It's a Canadian radio station so a lot of Canadian artist but some non hosers as well.

Ellen Foley was mighty fine in her Meat Loaf days.

meta%3AeyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ%3D%3D.jpg

Ellen Foley was mighty fine in her Meat Loaf days.

meta%3AeyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ%3D%3D.jpg
Not sure if that's just a different picture of her, or if that's the other girl in the video, but here is Ellen Foley with Meatloaf, which I never knew there was a connection. Well crap, pic is too big, but if you google the names, you should see many pics of Ellen with Meatloaf, not to be confused with Ellen Degeneres. She doesn't go anywhere near meat. ;)

Not sure if that's just a different picture of her, or if that's the other girl in the video, but here is Ellen Foley with Meatloaf, which I never knew there was a connection. Well crap, pic is too big, but if you google the names, you should see many pics of Ellen with Meatloaf, not to be confused with Ellen Degeneres. She doesn't go anywhere near meat. ;)

Indeed, everyone knows Ellen Degeneres eats a mostly vegan diet devoid of meat.
(I’ve also heard she doesn’t like dick.)
(Sorry for the bad joke, everyone.)

:grimacing:

Back