• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

10,000 Maniacs new album - shameless plug

No-L

Yes! 10,000 Maniacs have a new album in the works! It is GOOD! The music has a definite flavor of all of their old music, but I think it is fresh and modern sounding.
My husband recorded this whole album for them and just finished the final studio mixing session. The next steps will be cd mastering, duplication, marketing and distribution.
Like MANY artists today, the Maniacs are funding this new project through a fan-based system rather than negotiating backing through a record company. You can pre-order the new cd and other items (shirts, hats, etc) as a way to help them cover the costs of doing business.

Here is the link to their Pledge Music site. There is a lot of information, biographies, free downloads, samples, photos and videos of the band. I encourage everyone to check it out!

http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/10km

Natalie Merchant is a guilty pleasure for me, I have all of her solo CD's. I will be checking this out. Thanx!

walls said:
Natalie Merchant is a guilty pleasure for me, I have all of her solo CD's. I will be checking this out. Thanx!

I have no guilt regarding Merchant......No-L, get me a date :mrgreen:

Well I hate to disappoint you gents, but Natalie (and her hairy hippie legs - LOL) hasn't been with the Maniacs in the last twenty years!

Well they had replaced her before their last two major albums in the 90's and it didn't slow them down! Oddly enough, I've been traveling with them for the last ten years and most people don't seem to recognize or realize that the lead singer is NOT Natalie. Apparently the name is more important than the sound or musicianship. And I always found it to be ludicrous that audience members would talk with me and just be thrilled to be seeing and hearing the Maniacs and say how great it was, and mention Natalie. When I would explain that Natalie had left the group in the early 90's they would be instantly disappointed! So I guess they only THOUGHT they were enjoying themselves because they THOUGHT they were in the presence of Natalie. Silly people.

Sorry for deviating even further from the OP (and thanks for the heads-up No-L - by the way!) but on the subject of Natalie Merchant... check out her guest appearance with the Cowboy Junkies on Trinity Revisited. I highly (highly highly highly) recommend the CD/DVD combo pack.

My hubby went on the road as the Cowboy Junkies Front-Of-House sound guy for a couple summers. He says they are FANTASTIC people and their musicianship is quite exceptional. I agree with his musical assessment, however, I can't quite get past the morose, depressed style and feel of it to even listen to more than a few minutes. It's just not my cup of tea.

No-L said:
Well they had replaced her before their last two major albums in the 90's and it didn't slow them down! Oddly enough, I've been traveling with them for the last ten years and most people don't seem to recognize or realize that the lead singer is NOT Natalie. Apparently the name is more important than the sound or musicianship. And I always found it to be ludicrous that audience members would talk with me and just be thrilled to be seeing and hearing the Maniacs and say how great it was, and mention Natalie. When I would explain that Natalie had left the group in the early 90's they would be instantly disappointed! So I guess they only THOUGHT they were enjoying themselves because they THOUGHT they were in the presence of Natalie. Silly people.

Silly indeed!! How could you not tell it wasn't her. She has a distinctive voice. That would be like going to Pearl Jam and not noticing that Eddie Vedder wasn't singing?? At least IMHO!!

mcad64 said:
Silly indeed!! How could you not tell it wasn't her. She has a distinctive voice. That would be like going to Pearl Jam and not noticing that Eddie Vedder wasn't singing?? At least IMHO!!
While I agree - in principle - I think we should consider the band's following. No-L, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the largest demographic folksy stoner hippies?

Hippies - yes, to an extent. Stoners - not necessarily.
I can understand people not recognizing her. I can understand people knowing her name but not knowing the difference in quality of voice. What I don't understand is how someone can be thoroughly enjoying themselves one moment at a concert and then when they find out the singer isn't the person they thought - then all of a sudden they are no longer enjoying the EXACT SAME MUSIC!

I'm not saying its right but ... Part of what some people enjoy about a concert is the sense of being close to celebrity. I can guess that if you thought you were listening to (name a band) and found out that it was a cover band that there'd be some disappointment.

But back to the 10,000 Maniacs circa 2012...
Man... It's hard to believe the band has been making music together for 30 years!

I do understand that sentiment Towen, but it is still silly!

30 years and fantastic, hard-working, talented, wonderful people who love people and music.

Back