• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

3D TV without glasses

Bob R

Those who are interested might want to pay attention to the 2012 CES show in January.

Stream TV Networks has a new widget that they claim can work with just about anything and turn regular 2D media into 3D (not sure where the data to do that resides in a 2D format, but I digress)

Thi is their press release on it: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...asses-product-line-at-ces-2012-136091248.html

Developed by Stream TV Networks, Inc., the producer of the eLocity brand of mobile tablets launched first in 2010, the Ultra-D technology is strictly proprietary and leverages custom hardware, middleware techniques and software algorithms to create unprecedentedautostereoscopic 3D imagery. This technology will provide consumers with access tounlimited 3D content by enabling real-time conversion of:

•2D content into 3D autostereoscopic (without glasses)
•3D stereoscopic content (with glasses) to 3D autostereoscopic (without glasses)

The Ultra-D technology thus supports the immediate adoption of 3D consumer hardware despite limited availability of 3D content. Real-time conversion of 2D to 3D and 3D with glasses to 3D without glasses works seamlessly with various content formats including Blu-ray, DVD, PC gaming, Internet, cable and satellite content.

Another key differentiator of the Ultra-D technology enables customization of the 3D effect to address individual differences in spatial perception and the varying impact of 3D rendering on viewer comfort. The technology allows users to increase or decrease the real-time 3D rendering effect, adjusting for variance in content quality and source as well as personal preference so that consumers can use all Ultra-D products to achieve the optimal 3D picture every time.

leverages custom hardware, middleware techniques and software algorithms ???? That has got to be one of the worse marketing technobabble lines I've heard in a while.

This is on top of the latest Toshiba 3D TV unveiled last Fall. http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-toshiba-supersized-glasses-free-d-tv.html

Toshiba uses an imaging technique based on the stereoscopic principle of simultaneously delivering a picture for the left eye, and another picture with a small offset (parallax), for the right eye to achieve a 3-D viewing experience. A range of lenticular lenslets guides the images. A Quad Full HD display offering up to 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution enables an effective 3-D effect for up to nine viewers, where images are being presented to different positions throughout a room.

Showcasing the TV's features, Toshiba made special note of the new set's face-tracking technology. This means that a camera below the screen can scan to see how many faces are in the room, with nine the limit. Faces are tracked so that the machine can adjust the images. The aim of face-tracking is to provide a 3-D experience no matter where the viewer is in the room. There are nine different optimal angles for good picture quality in the Toshiba set. The user pushes a button on the remote control, which activates the camera.

The viewer can upscale 2-D content to 3-D. As part of the conversion, the Toshiba TV offers depth control to adjust the depth to the user's liking. The TV will be available in Germany in December. The unit costs €7,999 euros, or about $11,400
Translating the Toshiba process to English, they use special lenses in the screen to generate two separate images. One is focused on your left eye, one on your right. They use the camera to find your face and your eyes and adjust the focusing accordingly. By comparison any glasses based 3D system has both images displayed across the entire viewing area and each lens blocks one of the two images

One obvious issue is that if you move your head, the system will have to track that motion and update in real time for the 3D image to work.

(Post stolen from Patriots Planet Forums)

If it ever gets to the point where 3D looks good and you don't have to use glasses then I might be slightly interested in 3D. Until then it is just a money grab by electronics makers and movie theaters/makers. This is not the 50's and 3D still does not work 90% of the time as far as I care. This sounds like more of the same. Nice idea that just doesn't work.

Back