• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A change coming

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Two months ago my ComKrap bill came, and it went up from $150 to $165/mo. (TV, phone, Internet bundle). I've been toying with the idea of dropping them and just going with Internet service (have three options in my area now). I could easily live with intranetz TV and OTA, and intranetz phone (Ooma or MajicJackoff, or I could just go with my 2007 Tracfone).
Tonight, got a knock on my door from a Dish rep, they've just laid fiber-optic cable in my neighborhood. I could get 20 MBps intranetz for $30/mo for 6 months, then it goes up to $65/mo from then on; I'm getting 26 Mbps (avg) from ComKrap now but I never download movies, just surf and occasional streaming, never a problem.
Will read the brochure he left me, think I might be making a change in the next week. Advice?

Who is Dish working with?... Last time I checked Dish only used fiber at MDU (mult-dwelling units) to transport betyween a dish antenna and individual apartments. They don't own (at least they didn't) the neighborhood fiber-optic plant, nor do they have the infrastructure to connect it to on the VHO end.

AT&T has bundle deal on cell, internet and cable connection (may depend on states). Although their phone connection leaves some to desire, this bundle may suit the deal hunters.

Botch, I'm with Towen. DISH doesn't have land line anything. They may offer their DSS (sat service with an internet service). Better check...you may have to buy their DSS service & the internet service from someone else (Verizon or AT&T ?).

DIYer said:
AT&T has bundle deal on cell, internet and cable connection (may depend on states). Although their phone connection leaves some to desire, this bundle may suit the deal hunters.

thanks for the tip diyer,

im already witih uverse, but my package went up a bit due to the promo expired. (i think it was the hd package for six months etc).

i LOVE my hd now (i thought i can getaway with sd, hehehe nowadays thats crud), and plan on keeping it, but will remove my phone line instead. i dont know how yet, but im checking. might just go to a store or something...

im still not sure about california law having a dedicated landline in houses as a law nowadays.

anyways, thank you!

I think I was the last one on my block to drop the land-line phone when I finally got a cheap flip cell phone (phones were free for me & wife w/2yr plan).
I still don't have a smart phone....wife doesn't either. Son does though & his is now rooted (I know Rope..took too long).
I pay $62 a month to TWC for TurboRoadrunner (low 20's download). OTA is free. My 3 line cell bill is $150 (wife calls the Philippines alot).

Barney said:
I think I was the last one on my block to drop the land-line phone when I finally got a cheap flip cell phone (phones were free for me & wife w/2yr plan).
I still don't have a smart phone....wife doesn't either. Son does though & his is now rooted (I know Rope..took too long).
I pay $62 a month to TWC for TurboRoadrunner (low 20's download). OTA is free. My 3 line cell bill is $150 (wife calls the Philippines alot).

what cellphone company do you use barney?

my sisters currently upgrading our phone contracts, and from what ive heard from her just a few, 10/month is unlimited int'l text, 15/month includes phone calls, with .30/minute rates to the philippines.

i admit, i dont call my daughter or family members too often, and dont use it too much. BUT, my mom tho, well, we got her an obitalk and its working wonders. might want to consider that as well barney.

obitalk is essentially a voip and you just pay for the device and thats it. set up via google voice, and your done!

you can set it up here, send it back home and just have them plug it in the router, then a phone, and your set.

jomari said:
Barney said:

what cellphone company do you use barney?

my sisters currently upgrading our phone contracts, and from what ive heard from her just a few, 10/month is unlimited int'l text, 15/month includes phone calls, with .30/minute rates to the philippines.

i admit, i dont call my daughter or family members too often, and dont use it too much. BUT, my mom tho, well, we got her an obitalk and its working wonders. might want to consider that as well barney.

obitalk is essentially a voip and you just pay for the device and thats it. set up via google voice, and your done!

you can set it up here, send it back home and just have them plug it in the router, then a phone, and your set.

Thanks jomari ! I'll check into that but I don't think anyone in her family is anywhere near a router and/or computer...they are farmers.
I have T-Mobile (international account calls to Phillipines are $0.22 a minute if I remember right----can't remember how much a month for the internal accout it but if you don't have it, its around $2.50 for a connect fee & $1.45 a minute). T-Mobile now offers not sure how many local minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data 4G....they used to be the cheapest & service is outstanding & soon will have LTE.

Towen7 said:
Who is Dish working with?... Last time I checked Dish only used fiber at MDU (mult-dwelling units) to transport betyween a dish antenna and individual apartments. They don't own (at least they didn't) the neighborhood fiber-optic plant, nor do they have the infrastructure to connect it to on the VHO end.
Sorry about the delay in answering, finally read part of the brochure tonight. They are working with CenturyLink internet provider.
I can add the Dish, with the Hopper DVR, for $35/month, but the full package prices are in the fine print and, dammit, even with my reading glasses I can't make it out (I'm really starting to fear blindness in old age).
I thought I had read somewhere that straight-internet providers could "see" you using it with VOIP service (Ooma, MajikJack, etc) and some won't allow it, is that true? I do have a 2007 cellphone but would like to have wired phone service in my house (perhaps illogically so).

Botch said:
but the full package prices are in the fine print and, dammit, even with my reading glasses I can't make it out (I'm really starting to fear blindness in old age).

Time for this

ddc2d7dd1ee94e9b78ad4cf2bf3f6c4a.jpg

In all seriousness this I have one of these in my office and one on the table next to my favorite chair.

2b08b266cc57590137fe74c3d26966c4.jpg

It is standard issue with your "old man kit" along with nose hair trimmers, Grecian formula and those little blue pills.

Botch said:
I thought I had read somewhere that straight-internet providers could "see" you using it with VOIP service (Ooma, MajikJack, etc) and some won't allow it, is that true? I do have a 2007 cellphone but would like to have wired phone service in my house (perhaps illogically so).

I've never heard of such a thing in the US. There are countries which may block VOIP traffic (Brazil, China, Turkey) and other countries thst block specific VOIP sites snd services. I'm not a lawyer but I can't imagine that it's legal to restrict VOIP service in the United States.

Thanks Tom!

Jeff, I already have that lighted arm magnifier on my soldering workbench; guess its time to get a hand magnifier for my La-Z-Boy... :cry:

Botch said:
Thanks Tom!

Jeff, I already have that lighted arm magnifier on my soldering workbench; guess its time to get a hand magnifier for my La-Z-Boy... :cry:
It really comes in handy when trying to read CD liner notes.

I have that pop open lighted manifieing glass in my work truck its the best I found for read half scale highway construction plans you get from the DOT that they print so light that you can barely see it with eagle eyes.

Back