• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A Roku question

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Tonight I flipped to my Roku, hadn't watched it in a few days, and it immediately was showing a "BBQ Backyard Boyz" or something like that, mid-video (this particular channel are some redneck amateurs who are funny but stir their onions in a cast-iron pot with a bowie knife and say "It's GOOD!!!" a lot. This particular channel automatically jumps to the next video when the current one finishes.
I was watching that channel a few days ago, the last time I had the Roku on. It's almost like it was collecting internetz signal the whole time, and sending it down my HDMI Cable 3 the whole time, to my receiver which wasn't on or wasn't tuned to HDMI Cable 3. The Roku doesn't have an "Off" switch.
One thing that's confused me since switching to a dish-based Intranetz provider: my data usage has been all over the map; the first month was 19 MB, the second month almost went over my monthly quota of 250 MB, the next month was back around 20, etc.
Is THIS the answer? If I don't discontinue a video, the Roku continues to stream them in, using up my data quota? This is suddenly making sense, but I'd like some feedback from you Roku exspurts... (x being an Unknown Quantity and spurt, a drip under pressure... :mrgreen: ) Whaddya think?

I think the BBQ Backyard Boyz rock! Got an awesome bacon-wrapped jalapeno popper recipe from them. It was GOOD!

Sorry, I know nothing about the Roku but if you have any AppleTV questions...

The the Roku have "sleep" mode somewhere in the user menu? Which would essentially power the unit down until you wake it.

* edit...after a quick search it appears the answer to that question is, no.

Botch, what I've found with mine, is that if you go back to the main menu of the Roku, it will go to "sleep" after a while and the white light on the front will go off. But only if you take it to the main menu. Although my kid falls asleep watching it all the time, and usually falls asleep to it, and it seems to go into pause mode after no activity as well. Maybe there's a setting in there to change to at least do that.

Thanks Huey, I'll look for it after I get the lawn mowed, may be hitting triple digits here this afternoon.

Botch said:
Thanks Huey, I'll look for it after I get the lawn mowed, may be hitting triple digits here this afternoon.

At the very least, if you just take it back to the main menu when you are done watching whatever you are watching, it shouldn't go back into active streaming mode. Hope that takes care of it Botch.

For those who have the Roku 3, have any of you experienced any freeze ups between episodes of a show? I don't know if it's a Netflix issue or a Roku issue as I didn't have any issues when I was running the 2. That and Netflix seems to have done an update since I've gotten the 3. When Netflix is accessed, there's a black screen with a red log, instead of the red screen and white logo. I didn't see this when I was still using the 2.

It's irritating when it locks up like that. The remote doesn't work or anything, even though I can hear the beeps when pressing the buttons. The only fix I've found is unplugging/replugging the unit, which brings you back to the main screen.

Yesfan70 said:
For those who have the Roku 3, have any of you experienced any freeze ups between episodes of a show? I don't know if it's a Netflix issue or a Roku issue as I didn't have any issues when I was running the 2. That and Netflix seems to have done an update since I've gotten the 3. When Netflix is accessed, there's a black screen with a red log, instead of the red screen and white logo. I didn't see this when I was still using the 2.

It's irritating when it locks up like that. The remote doesn't work or anything, even though I can hear the beeps when pressing the buttons. The only fix I've found is unplugging/replugging the unit, which brings you back to the main screen.

I have not experienced any freeze ups, and still have the normal Netflix screen before it goes to the menu. Not sure what you have going on there Yesfan.

I noticed the Netflix logo is also different on the 2 as we moved it to our bedroom. My wife uses the bedroom setup more than me, be she hasn't experienced any freeze-ups with the 2, so maybe the issue is with the Roku more than the app. I don't know for sure as 99% of the time we are using Netflix more than the other apps She definitely can tell the difference in speed between the 2 and 3.

Botch put your Roku on a surge protector or device with a on/off switch turn it off when not in use. Two of my three HT systems are run thru a monster voltage regulator with timed power switches. When I want to watch something I just hit the one button and everything turns on in sequence when I want to turn it off just hit the button again and everything shuts off in sequence and won't draw any power till I hit the button again.

I've been doing what Huey suggested and moving to the main Roku page before powering down, and my usage has been between 10 and 20 GB ever since.

Back