• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A short Von Schweikert audition

lakedmb

So, I have been playing music with a few guys in the area and just recently learned that the drummer has quite the 2-channel rig. The pieces that I can remember are the following:

Von Schweikert VR4jr Speakers
Manley Shrimp Preamp
Manley Snapper 100w amp (2)
Musical Fidelity DAC (not sure of the model)
Rega Turntable (not sure of the model)

He also has a CD player (didn't catch the brand), two APC power conditioners, and some wireless streaming device.

Last time I was over there he asked if I wanted a quick demo, which of course I said yes. So, he picked out a David Gilmour live album on vinyl. The first thing that stuck out to me was the clarity of the high end of the speakers. The upper registry was very clear, which surprised me since I am use to listening to horns. The midrange seemed to be lacking a little. Now, the missing midrange could have been due to the environment, but since I couldn’t listen to the speakers in another room I am unable to verify that. It felt as though he may have had a “V” shape EQ setting going on, yet I didn’t see an EQ anywhere. The lower end seemed pretty full, maybe a tad boomy, in his room. While listening, I still couldn’t get past the missing midrange.

The overall quality of the speakers seemed pretty top notch. They had a very nice gloss black finish that seemed just about perfect. The speakers were quite attractive; the slanted top gave them a nice look. The following specs about the size and amount of drivers is from a Stereo Times review:

“The VR4jr is 38.5" tall, 8" wide, 20" deep, and weighs 78 pounds. It's a four-way design that uses a 1" poly-tri-laminate silk dome tweeter, a 7" carbon mica-cellulose poly-laminate midrange driver, two 7" mica-cellulose poly-laminate woofers, and a 1" rear-firing ambience mid/tweeter with fabric dome and transmission-line loading and level control are located on the rear.”

After reading about the rear-firing mid/tweeter, it hit me that that may be why the highs stood out as much as they did. Personally, I feel as though that particular feature kind of cheapens the speaker, kind of a Bose style of filling a room.

Now, one thing that I had to remind myself was that he didn’t have the speakers toed in at all and he didn’t have anything in the form of acoustic panels. To me, if you are going to spend $10,000, or more in this case, on a 2-channel system then you should do as much as possible to help with the sound.

Just wanted to share the experience I had with these speakers. Until a few weeks ago, I had never had the opportunity to hear these speakers. I see the guy every week, so hopefully we can have a longer session in the next few weeks.

Fun! Sounds like a great way for you to start a little acoustic treatment business on the side. ;)

Back