• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A weekend wood working project

Towen7

Staff member
I decided a few weeks ago to move my home office downstairs (again). I moved it upstairs because I didn't like the desk we had and I couldn't find one I did like for what I was willing to pay. So I decided to try to build one myself. If it turns out well I'll try building a tall bookshelf/cabinet with integrated TV stand. I've done smaller, simpler wood projects before with okay results but this is a big step for me.

Here's the progress so far. Everything is on hold while I was for glue to dry on one of the face frames.

fef32a9b4be288ad5f16b576f1732b49.jpg

33505fc0ba8c1d1a580184c4570ffe16.jpg

f77a804284a5b265f2a7af35534d1044.jpg

bb0669543da0af4339cf97fdc314127c.jpg

Towen7 said:
I couldn't find one I did like for what I was willing to pay. So I decided to try to build one myself.
Join the club. :handgestures-thumbup:

Where did you get those right angle pieces that's in the 2nd pic? I need some of those. I'm tired of my squares looking like rhombi.

These?

be5fe2e4da9d20c72e600602003340a2.jpg

Rockler Clamp-it.
They come in two sizes. These are the larger ones. There on sale right now or $6.50 each normally $13. The small ones are $10 (not on sale).

:text-link:

You go Tom!!!

Great project, what kind of finish will you use on them?

heeman said:
... what kind of finish will you use on them?

I plan to add a hinged comapartment under the desktop (at the back) to hide wiring and a surge suppressor. The cabinet boxes, face frames, and under the desk will be flat black. The desk top, cabinet tops, drawers and doors will be stained in a dark cherry color. Kind of like this...

7d3ff15a1adf101a150b5f2fb21f9aa9.jpg

Solid oak face frames glued-up and solid wood attached to inside of the cabinets to support the weight of the drawers. On the right will be two large hanging file drawers and a small junk drawer. On the left will be one door with full extension slide-out trays for the PC, external dives, switches, and office supplies and whatnot.

I've been making this up as I go. Next time I'll be sure to draw a plan first.

85bc09a2a5f30bb02a1835e7dd501fc0.jpg

Towen7 said:
On the left will be one door with full extension slide-out trays for the PC,

I'm assuming the base holding that slide-out is VERY securely fastened... :teasing-neener:

On a serious note, Tom, I'm extremely jealous, and embarrassed. You've accomplished more on this project in one weekend than I have on my audio component cabinet in 2.5 years! (I've got a pile of surface-planed walnut in my shop, collecting dust). Bravo, and send some of your ambition my way; I need it.

Very cool! Fun and useful. Pretty impressive for something you're making up as you go!

Nice job on that. Wood working is so satisfying when you can say, "I made that." Also, Rockler is awesome.

Thanks Tom. I see they offer a pair of those bundled with four 5" bar clamps for $52. Do you also have those bar clamps, or is that something different in the pic. I see a couple of bad reviews on the clamps, so thought I would ask. I have a few Irvin clamps (like yours). I thought about using them, since I need more of the smaller Irvin clamps anyway.

I have some little bar clamps but I'm not sure they are the same as the ones in the bundle. You can see them in the second pic. They are fine for basic tasks like this but of course they aren't capable of putting the same kind of pressure a bigger clamp would.

Back