• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AKG Q701 -v- Sennheiser HD598 (w/ Little Dot II++)

The DirtMerchant

Famous
From time to time I would stick my head into the headphone discussions and at one point a few years ago was able to purchase a barely used pair of AKG Q701 headphones at well below retail. I've had them for a year or two and have been pleased. Due to some comments on one of the headphone threads, a few months ago I was offered by Walls a chance to listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD598's and along with a Little Dot II++ tube amp. 2 things I am fairly certain I never would have decided to check out on my own. As I already have the AKG Q701's. Seemed to make sense to do a little compare/contrast review while I had them. My review is not at all scientific. Just me, my PS3, the Little Dot II++ the headphones and some CDs that I am familiar with.

Items:
AKG Q701

Sennheiser HD598 (thanks Walls!)

Little Dot II++ (thanks Walls!)

RadioShack 1/8" to 1/4" adapter for the Q701s
The Great Gatsby Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition)
John Fogerty Wrote A Song For Everyone
PS3
Mullard ef92 (I spent 0 time listening using these tubes)
Mullard cv8114 (Spent the most time with these, maybe 8 hours)
EDISWAN EF92 (Spent about 4 hours with these)

This is a headphone review...but I think it partially ends up being a tube review also...
I do not pretend to know anything about resistance or warm coloring or how tubes affect audio or why.
Just my thoughts, quickly put together based on a bit over 10 hours of some not-so-critical listening.

AKG Q701 and Sennheiser HD598, equal time with Mullard CV8114 tubes
I started by hooking everything up and connecting my Q701s to the tube amp and listening to several tracks of the Great Gatsby disc. Just sitting back and listening through 4 or 5 songs. Then I switched to the HD598s and listed to the same songs in the same order. Immediately I had to turn it down around 1 full line according to the volume hash marks. The HD598s were definitely louder. I tried to adjust so that they were at equal levels. As for the various tracks and how they sounded...It was odd. In certain songs the voices sounded better and clearer on the Q701s. Whereas instruments (piano, guitar) were clearer and more pronounced in the HD598s. Bass and volume of bass seemed to be fuller? more enveloping? louder? in the Senns. The Q701ss definitely had an even tight bass note (If you have ever listed to the Great Gatsby soundtrack produced by Jay-Z, you know there is quite a bit of bass throughout). Crisp and clear it was there, but nothing like the HD598s. There were some songs that just needed that full and enveloping bass that were provided by the HD598s and others where I much preferred the even and tight notes from the Q701s. Voices were a bit clearer/cleaner with the Q701s. Generally I preferred how voices sounded through the AKGs, with the HD598s, voices sounded...adjusted? slightly muddy? Almost like the elevated/enveloping bass levels were interfering with voices. I then tried to switch mid-track and back and forth between the headphones multiple times. The difference in volume and the plug/unplug process made it tedious. Listening to music on headphones made it fun! I ran through the same practice with the John Fogerty CD. Listening to several tracks on the Q701s, then switching to the HD598s. Then switching mid-track and then back and forth several times during each track.

AKG Q701 and Sennheiser HD598, equal time with EDISWAN EF92
What a HUGE difference a tube makes. When I put these in there was a VERY noticeable difference in each of the headphones. The HD598s soared. Everything seemed to open up and become clearer. The bass did not interfere with voices. Everything seemed crisp and shiny. It was a lovely way to listen to music. The Q701s...fell apart. They sounded like I was listening to music through a thin blanket. Not muffled, just somehow empty. No life in the music. As if the mid and low range was just EQ'd out of the music and/or I was listening through a tin can. Everything was just washed out. Something like going from a 5.1 rig down to flat screen display speakers. The difference for each was amazing just by switching to the other tube. With the Mullard tubes, to me it was a question of preference between the headphones. With the Ediswan tubes, I guess if you like bland it could be taste/preference thing. But the HD958s were a clear, crisp and obvious winner.

With my regular solid state amps (I have occasion to use my Q701s when watching TV late at night with either my basic Onkyo receiver in my bedroom or my Anthem AVM30 in my Living room setup or on my main PC), I have never had any complaints about my Q701s. I purchased them barely used for $160 back when they were retailing for $245. Music sounds like music. Movies sound like movies. I never had a reason to complain about bass or lack thereof. Listening to the HD598s were not that much different on the 1st set of tubes I used. There were differences, but nothing that was on any level upsetting. But that second set of tubes...was ear opening. So...in general, what do I think?

If you are a regular guy looking to buy a set of headphones and have about $200 to burn and you aren't going to buy another paid of headphones for a LONG time for any reason besides accidental breakage...I don't think you could go wrong with either pair. Currently I see the HD598s for $181 on Amazon.com and the Q701s for $193. Flip a coin, wait for delivery, get several CDs or high quality MP3s ready, plug 'em in, put 'em on your head and list to your heart's content. The Q701s are larger and bulkier and the cushions sit around the ear (unless you are Dumbo I guess). Look at bit modern 40's-50's retro. The green color is a bit ridiculous, but there are several colors available. The HD598s look like they are an updated 70s look. Comfortable and fit a bit more snugly overall, but still around the ear cushioning.

If you are a regular guy that frequents A/V forums, like say theaudioannex.com, and have about $200 to burn on headphones but the overall audio budget is larger and are often infected with upgrad-itis (and like it) or often ask questions either in the forums or in your head like "do tube amps make much difference?" or "the # of ohms of resistance can't really cause that much a difference can it?" or "great post about headphone D, what do you guys think of headphones A/B/C"...the answer is, it depends. Like I said, in general I am very happy with my Q701s. I was very happy with my Q701s on a tube amp. But as soon as I heard the Q701s matched with those EDISWAN EF92, I heard the problem. I do not have the bankroll nor inclination to start trying tube amps and various tubes to find the best fit for my headphones and/or ears so I have no issue standing pat. But if you did have the bankroll or inclination...the Little Dot II++ and EDISWAN EF92 and Sennheiser HD598s would be a really good setup, just as those same things with the AKG Q701s would be a really bad setup. Of course, that's the problem with this. There are several moving parts that add up to that quality (the amp, the tubes, the headphones). I also have to assume the larger tubes in the back make a difference (I only messed with the smaller set up front on the LDII++). I have to wonder if another set of tubes would change the sound of the Q701s dramatically in a positive direction. And that is not even mentioning personal preference. If there were a place that had a bunch of different tube amps and various choices for the tubes and various headphones and you could go and sit and listen and switch around the pieces to your heart's content, this would be a no brainer, go there and try to fit all the puzzle pieces together. But I don't know of that place and I am not sure it exists.

So, what does that all mean? It means that I am very happy with my Q701s and I don't really have any complaints about thin or non-existent bass. That may be a product of personal preference (based on the general conversations about them, I think it clearly is). The bass is tight, existent but by no means overpowering. Instruments, especially acoustically, sound great.

The HD598s are a great pair of headphones. They sound very "warm" and play strongly across the aural board. They have a very..."full" sound to them. Almost like they were EQ'd up across the low/mid range. With the Mullard CV8114 voices would be a bit muddy for my taste, but that is just nitpicking (and tube picking). With the EDISWAN EF92 it was like a whole new experience. Everything became crisper and clearer. And I think that is the rub. With all the pieces, they're amazing and I quickly realize why upgraditis hits all of us one way or anther. But with different pieces, they are "just fine".

With my listening style, habits and preferences, I just want to know I have purchased quality hardware that sounds good. Which I have in the Q701s. They are easily matched by the HD598s and I wouldn't scoff at anyone that chose either. If you want that extra volume and oomph at the lower end, along with everything the Q701s have to offer, go for the HD598s. If my disposable income levels were higher and I listed to more music regularly, I would heavily consider a tube amp. However, it should be considered sunk costs to try at least 2 to 3 different sets of tubes to find your desired pairing to your headphones. And then if your budget is even larger, frequent those headphone forums (or this one) and see if you can trade up/across somehow to try out the "next level".

Good luck everyone. I'm sure I cleared nothing up in this "review". But I sure had fun listening. If nothing else I got to listen to a pair of headphones I probably never would have been able to (HD598s) and a tube amp and various tubes that I never would have even considered (Little Dot II++). I think when I'm older and my kids aren't at the age that require high levels of oversight and time, thus allowing me more to spend on my hobbies, I will consider the purchase of a tube amp of some sort and travel the "trade-up/trade-across/upgrad-itis" tube amp road.

Walls, thank you so much for sharing your gear.

Excellent writeup, and pics! Thank you!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Excellent write up!!! More then happy to let forum members try my gear!!

I will add my thoughts on top,of yours later but for now ...... I am gonna send my HD650's and Bottlehead Crack to PaulyT, so when he is done, you wanna try out a more "upper end" rig? If so let me know and I will have PaulyT send the equipment directly to you.

That's great, DM. Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts, it's always interesting to hear what other people have to say on this stuff. I've owned K701 way back, and had an HD580 for a while (which I didn't much care for), but haven't heard the HD598 or 650 - yet. ;)

Yeah it's hard to explain why a change in tubes would have such a large effect - the benefit and curse of tube amps. Very generally speaking, I've found that tubes do better with higher impedance headphones, but the two you're comparing here aren't drastically different (50 and 62 ohm). So who knows... But it's cool that you found a good combo.

And I agree with Botch, those are some nice pics! Looks like you had fun with that, too.

Back