• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Are you influenced by TV Advertising?

mzpro5

Famous
I read an article this morning that said Comcast will be offering a "streaming service similar to Netflix but with advertising".

I like to think I am completely unaffected by advertising and in the streaming services I subscribe to am more than willing to get the "no ad" version for a few extra bucks a month. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising those that utilize it must think it works well.

So the question is does advertising on TV influence your financial/purchasing decisions?

Not at all. If watching network tv I always change channels during commercials or mute the sound. Always.

I have been thinking about how I am influenced by advertising for years, especially after I decided to shift my career from sales to marketing.

I find I am influenced when the ad is for something I already buy or desire. It is extremely rare that an ad will introduce me to a new thing I wasnt aware of and which I then wanted to get. But, if I am considering buying a thing, like a new vacuum cleaner, and I see an ad from Dyson, I may investigate Dyson again during my search. First Dyson that's a win. Most ads are not expected to make you buy the product in the ad, but to make to shop the product and others from the company - at for more durable products.

For transactional items, like a hamburger, they want you to buy the product in the ad. Food ads really work, just reminding people that they like the food at Burger King is often enough to get people to ho there.

So, it depends on the ad. If I'm not in the market for a new car, no amount of c as r ads will change my mind. But if I am actively shopping for a car, all of the car ads impact my shopping process.

I hardly watch any live tv, so usually I just fast forward through the commercials. But when I do see a commercial, usually the only ones that influence me to buy something, are fast food commercials when they release something new.

I avoid TV ads like the plague and pay extra to avoid them on three streaming services (Hulu, CBS and YouTube). I am very rarely influenced by online ads, but I have purchased a funny T-Shirt or two that I say on Facebook. The key is that there are other forms of marketing that I am influenced by, such as articles, reviews and sponsored videos for products I'm interested in.

I say I hate ads but I I’m honest, yes, advertising does impact my purchasing. Mostly because I’m not always aware of local service companies when I’m in need of them. A TV or internet can bring that awareness. Or if I’m shopping for a product or service an ad can make me aware of a promotion or discount on something I’m interested in ... or even make me aware of a competitive company that I’ve never heard of. For example I’m considering building a home gym, not something I have experience with so open to ads that make me aware of companies that sell that equipment that I didn’t know existed.

All that said I tend to avoid ads in my video streams but I’m muuuuch less bothered by ads inserted into social media feeds and such.

I think most people would deny that advertising influences their choices, but let's face it- if that were truly the case, there wouldn't be any advertising. Instead, advertising is a MASSIVE business. Television is based on advertising. Some of the largest internet companies (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) wouldn't have a revenue stream if not for advertising.

The data viewed by these advertisers must show that it's worthwhile. They're spending way too much money for it to be otherwise.

I think most people would deny that advertising influences their choices, but let's face it- if that were truly the case, there wouldn't be any advertising. Instead, advertising is a MASSIVE business. Television is based on advertising. Some of the largest internet companies (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) wouldn't have a revenue stream if not for advertising.

The data viewed by these advertisers must show that it's worthwhile. They're spending way too much money for it to be otherwise.

So true... I consult for a small business which has exclusive rights to a patented utility belt buckle made in Switzerland. They buy the buckles, sew them onto nylon belts (to length and color) and sell them online to people who need the best utility belts. Before I got involved all of their customers were institutions, like police departments and such. I got them into a huge online targeted marketing campaign focused on people working in construction, gun owners, outdoorsmen, and who wear cammo in their photos. The result is that for every dollar spent, there is a clear $5 in sales. What's crazy is that sales are incredibly well tied to online advertising. If they are struggling to fill orders, they can reduce advertising spending and immediately sales correspondingly drop. If they are over stocked, they can advertise more and sales correspondingly increase. If they want to take time off for vacation, they can stop all advertising and only return customers are placing orders which can often wait a week for fulfillment. Today they earn the vast majority of their sales to individuals who responded to advertising. If you've seen ads for "Klik Belts" you are part of the target market. If you are not in the target market, you probably have never heard of them at all.

That's the power of advertising in certain markets.

The topic was "TV advertising". Just sayin'.......

The topic was "TV advertising". Just sayin'.......

Doesn't matter. Are we under the impression that companies pay millions of dollars to create and air special commercials during the Super Bowl because they just enjoy wasting money? No, they are expecting to reap a financial benefit- even if it's not a direct one, they are trying to shape our impressions of their products and brand, and in so doing, get viewers to the point where they'll exchange their money for that company's goods or services.

If it didn't have an impact, there would be no such thing as free TV or commercial breaks.

Back