• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Attention CRT RPTV owners

Rickster

My TV was starting to look awful. cloudy, dark,etc so I decided to give this thing a good cleaning. I have cleaned the gun lenses in the past but never thought to clean the mirror which had never been cleaned since 2004 so I decided to clean it and oh my gosh my set looks like new, no shit! I would say the picture quality would give some of these new sets a run for their money. I just thought I would share this because I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I thought I was going to have to buy a new TV which is certainly not in the budget right now. Now all of you remaining CRT RPTV owners, get in there and clean that mirror!

That's great! Always nice to get a free "upgrade" like that! I don't have an RPTV but I occasionally dust off the top of my little LCD. ;)

Yeah it is pretty great because I thought the thing was on its last leg and didn't know what the heck I was gonna do

Good advice, Rickster.

I'm still running a Mits RPTV and I remember having the mirrors cleaned. The difference was amazing.

It won't die, even though I want the upgrade. :eusa-whistle:

Bob R said:
.......It won't die, even though I want the upgrade. :eusa-whistle:

Wa-Shan-Double-Barrel-Shotgun-6MM-(Long)_05.jpg

Here. I'll even load it for you.... ;)

The red gun on my Mits RPTV quit about 2 months ago. Got it fixed for a couple hundred bucks. The bad part wound up being something on the controller board. The colors of this set at 1080i are still better than any LCD (IMO). It's big, clunky and probably uses 300W of power, but I still like it.

My old 51" HD ready Toshiba RPTV is still going strong....beautiful pic....only 1080i & the viewing angle sucks.......but the sweet spot is sweet !

Rickster said:
My TV was starting to look awful. cloudy, dark,etc so I decided to give this thing a good cleaning. I have cleaned the gun lenses in the past but never thought to clean the mirror which had never been cleaned since 2004 so I decided to clean it and oh my gosh my set looks like new, no shit! I would say the picture quality would give some of these new sets a run for their money. I just thought I would share this because I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I thought I was going to have to buy a new TV which is certainly not in the budget right now. Now all of you remaining CRT RPTV owners, get in there and clean that mirror!

How did you go about it? Did you have to tear the TV apart to reach the mirror/guns? What did you clean them with?

I love my RPTV, the colors and contrast are fantastic, but would also like to clean it as you did...but no instructions to be found in the manual.

jamhead said:
Rickster said:

How did you go about it? Did you have to tear the TV apart to reach the mirror/guns? What did you clean them with?

I love my RPTV, the colors and contrast are fantastic, but would also like to clean it as you did...but no instructions to be found in the manual.

I unscrewed and removed the back panel and was able to contort myself enough to see the mirror. I cleaned with glass cleaner and paper towels. A word of warning. The mirror will streak like mad but after several passes with glass cleaner and wiping off I finally got it just about perfect. Just make sure you unplug the tv so you will be around to tell us how it went

Just a heads up you should never ever use glass cleaner or paper towels to clean any part of a RPTV. The glass cleaner contains ammonia which will destroy the thin layer protectant on most mirror and glass surfaces of a RPTV also paper towels can actually create small scratches on the Mylar mirror and lenses of the RPTV. They sell special glass cleaners made for RPTV's and use a lint free cloth to clean your sets. I clean my Pioneer about once a year but am especially careful when cleaning the guns as the slightest scratch will appear permanently as a larger scratch on your screen.

I have found recently besides cleaning that an outboard video scaler like the DVDO VP30 or 50 can do wonders with reducing overscan that in most RPTV's is at 5% or even larger down to 1% which shrinks the image giving you even a tighter picture and the scaler does wonders with SD and HD image quality correcting Gamma, Chroma and Red push color correction. They can easily be had now on eBay for under 200.00 and worth every penny.

Back