• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bass Guitar and Amp Rig

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I have been wanting to start making music lately, so with my newfound freedom I am putting together enough stuff to jam or record whenever I want. I already have the drums and a passible keyboard, but I still needed guitars: bass, electric, and acoustic. I have an old abused Talyor Baby acoustic I am going to get a quote for adjusting and setting up so it plays in tune. Recently I got lucky and found a great deal on a proper Fender Precision bass and a nice, and very light, G&K combo amp and remote speaker stack. The bass needs a good setup and some new strings, I ordered some Rotosound Jazz 77 strings like Roger Waters used on Dark Side of the Moon because that seems like an easy to play sound to me. The amp setup consists of a Combo amp with two 10" speakers and a cabinet with one 15" speaker. I can easily carry both the amp and the cabinet, one in each hand, up and down my stairs, so they are very portable. I like that.

Now I just need to find some middle-aged dad in my neighborhood who can play bass to come over and jam with me from time to time. A guitar player would be nice, as well.

Bass_Rig_C.jpg

Bass_Rig_A.jpg

Bass_Rig_B.jpg

Very cool. That's a nice looking rig. I don't have any experience with Gallien Kruger and I am not sure I have ever even heard them, but I have heard good things about their stuff and you just cant go wrong with a P bass.

I am not a real bass player, but I played through the rig for a bit to see how it performed. I think it performs well and can play loud enough to keep up with the drums - my main concern. So, I am happy. I may get a compressor pedal to smooth out the sound, but not until I put the flat-wound strings on the bass. They may be enough.

Depending on the head, most 15 and 2-10 cabs will keep up with drums quite nicely.

Although the guys over at talkbass.com throw absolute fits over that setup, many people play them with great results.

I don't however understand why they don't implement a proper crossover setup on that type of setup. I cant imagine it wouldn't almost completely cure all the issues those guys bitch about.

Very cool. That's a nice looking rig. I don't have any experience with Gallien Kruger and I am not sure I have ever even heard them, but I have heard good things about their stuff and you just cant go wrong with a P bass.

Oh! The Fender has a rosewood neck.....yea baby!!

Nice amp!!

It's too bad we don't live closer to each other @Flint , I have a bass and amp and have always wanted to start playing music again. Hope you find someone to rock with :cool:

Like the setup. I have a crate 30 watt amp plugged into a Marshall 4 12 slant top style cabnet 1960 A style. Added a T582 hammond organ looking for the leslie. No drums yet, but have some cymbals. The problem with the instruments is the same as the drums. It is about the sound and style. So just like your wanting to bring the Snare and cymbals for the sound. The guitar and bass need their sound, for the style. I was out with the band for the senior citizens prom dance and the leader / Keyboards changed the midi patch on the keyboards and was wanting me to fix his monitor because the keys were not turned back up to the same level as the previous midi patch. When he adjusted his volume back up all was back to normal.

I also have the bass guitar cabinet with a 15 in it. weights in at 68 lbs and walks out into the crowd as a sub. I have the eminance Kappa 15 that is 1200 watt peak and a backup speaker for the two scoops. I also use this as a drum monitor with the little EV sitting on top. bi-amp. 15 sub, Little EV is 6.5 mid and horn tweeter St-351 from EV same driver on some of the Klipsh

Yes, if I were creating art for performing or recording, buying an amp and bass isn't a logical action. However, I just want to jam and have fun, and for that any bassist would plug into anything which is loud enough and he didn't have to haul over every week for the jam. Lots of rehearsal spaced have PAs, drums, bass and guitar rigs - even common keyboards - which can also be rented with the room in order to let bands practice even if they will ultimately haul their own gear with them when they go on tour. The last real band I was in worked that way - when rehearsing and learning songs on a weekly basis, we played what was in the room. When we practiced for a specific show, we played the gear we'd have on stage. 90% of our rehearsing was on whatever was available and only the last one or two practice sessions prior to the gig would be with the actual gear we would haul to the venue.

Back