• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bias Lighting for TV

mzpro5

Famous
Anyone use this for their TV viewing? I have been doing some reading and several articles mention bias lighting for OLED TVs.

Your thoughts ?

Bias lighting is always a good idea if you like to turn all the lights off while watching TV. It is hard on your eyes to watch a bright TV in a completely blacked out room, even movie theaters have a little ambient lighting for this reason (and other reasons like safety). In my main HT I have a few 6.5K white florescent lights behind my TV gently lighting up the gray curtains being my TV. In my family room I have a couple of lamps with Philips Hue smart bulbs in them which have a 10% setting I enable when watching TV at night.

Sure, those are perfect and I would use those today if I didn't already have a solution. In fact, those are superior to both of my solutions.

To be perfect, you want pure white one a wall which has no tint at all. The wall should be pure white or a shade of grey without color. But that is too extreme for most.

I use 15W incandescent bulbs mounted in floor standing pot lights in each front corner of my main HT, with Munsell Neutral Value gray walls.

Works great.

Jeff

I use a red led bulb can light. I have that set behind my tv aimed up.

My wife and I like it for watching movies/ netflix at night its easy the eyes.

I use a 6500k LED light strip that just attaches right to the back of the tv with tape and is powered by the USB port on the tv. Bought on Amazon for like 10.00 and almost goes all around my 65" tv. Is bright when you look directly at it but when on and shines on back wall it's not bad at all.

I cannot wait to hear your experience. My next tv will likely get one of those.

Thanks for the heads up on the Loominoodle, I need to replace my old light strip it was built kind of flimsy. This looks like a better solution.

That's what I have the loominoodle I really like it. I've been using mine now for a year without too many issues. Every once in a blue moon when I turn everything off using my Harmony remote the loominoodle will shut off then turn itself back on even though the tv is off. Not sure why but it's not too often it does this. Simply unplugging the USB waiting about fifteen seconds and plugging back into the turned off tv usually fixes it otherwise it's inexpensive very bright and works great.

I have four can lights in the ceiling that I dim all the way down, so there is just enough light in the room to not have eye strain.

Put the luminoodle on the TV this morning. Have only watched it a little and I can't explain exactly what it is but it definitely enhances the viewing experience whether it is a dark environment or lighted environment. A decrease in eye strain (which seemed to be more with the OLED). Kinda of puts a soft luminous frame around the screen which does not detract from the picture itself.

That is so great!

I am impressed that technology we've know was necessary and relatively simple (or which should be simple) has caught on in the mass market and anyone and everyone has easy and affordable access to it now. Things are getting better in very real ways now. Even stuff like acoustic treatments are becoming mainstream. YAY!

MattB mentioned that at times the luminoodle on his set will stay on once he turns the set off. Mine does too but I have found after several minutes it goes off, length of time depends on how long the set was on. The other day I had it on for about 8 hours and the lights were on for about 10 minutes. Shorter watch times result in shorter delay times for the lights to go off.

Back