• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Big news for 4k streaming

Deacon

Humble Servant
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/ ... ideo-codec

If this becomes a reality and competitors codecs follow this will make 4k accessible to everyone with internet. Currently the bandwidth speed needed to stream 4k is somewhere around 25mbps. There is only a low percentage of people (mainly large metro areas) that have access to speeds of 25mbps or greater.

http://gizmodo.com/americas-internet-in ... 1057686215

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-us-state- ... -virginia/

Another indicator that 4k is here to stay! With the trends in consumption of preferring streaming over traditional broadcasts this will continue to change the landscape. It appears cable has indeed positioned itself to be relevant moving forward. Not as a broadcast provider but rather as an ISP.

Looks like DirectTV merged with AT&T at the right time. Dish Network should be sweating bullets right about now.

The cord-cutters will continue to grow.

Deacon said:
Dish Network should be sweating bullets right about now.

It makes me wonder who is going to buy them out. My guess: one of the major cable or wireless companies. Verizon, Comcast, etc. I don't think Dish is going to be able to keep it going by themselves for that much longer.

The only logical play for a Dish purchase/merger would be with a nationwide wireless company. There isn't much value in operating two non-compatible television services under one umbrella, even if one is a regional ISP. A wireless provider may want to leverage Dish content into a streaming package.

Towen7 said:
The only logical play for a Dish purchase/merger would be with a nationwide wireless company. There isn't much value in operating two non-compatible television services under one umbrella, even if one is a regional ISP. A wireless provider may want to leverage Dish content into a streaming package.

Somebody ought to tell AT&T that quick. :teasing-tease:

I get what you're saying. It would more be to give a nationwide presence for a regional provider. Of course, it could also easily get bought out by a content provider. Comcast does own some networks. But then, ABC/Disney could view it as a profit center as well.

That map is generated from Ookla's (speedtest.net) compilation of stats based only on people that use their test.

As most of you know, I work for a major ISP and can tell you with certainty that the speeds represented in the southwest US on that map (Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Texas) do not represent what is available in those areas. Also, speed tests don't always represent available bandwidth to the home. They only indicate the speed to that one machine at that one instant.

Not to get too far into the weeds but ... A huge number of tests are run on one machine while others in the home are consuming bandwidth. Lots and lots of trouble reports are generated to ISP's for low speeds and the tech finds the customer is using a 2005 era computer running Microsoft ME at the same time the kids are streaming TV and/or on-line gaming. Invariably these customers point to dozens of speed tests all run within a few minutes. Tech removes all the junk and runs a test on a clean network and whatdoyouknow ... full bandwidth.

I see your point and I didn't even bother to determine how the map was generated. I would have assumed it was based on ISPs reported bandwidth speed per area covered.

T7, I'm not going to speak about Texas in that map, but it agrees with my personal experience in Arkansas. At the house in Hot Springs which we just moved out of U-Verse was offering us 12MBPS down. In Little Rock, where we just moved, we can get 12 down from U-Verse (Comcast offered much higher speeds though). At our office in North Little Rock (at the very western edge of North Little Rock, practically in Maumelle) we have a dedicated 10MBPS symmetrical line. Just for geographic location, Hot Springs would be near the line between the orange and red and Little Rock/North Little Rock are in the middle of the orange.

When you get south and east of Hot Springs, I bet the service down there does get pretty poor. This is probably because of the population density (or lack thereof) in that area. In an area bounded by Hot Springs, Malvern, Magnola, Texarkana, Mena, and back to Hot Springs, there probably aren't 350k people and that's a LARGE area. Plus, Garland County, which is where Hot Springs is, is 100k and Texarkana, AR is about that same size.

Take where Snowman lives, he has no high speed internet available outside of satellite based service. He can't even get 4G service at his house. The house I rented for a while, which is less than 2 miles south of where we lived, didn't have high speed internet 5 years ago and I'll bet it still doesn't.

John

For every example of a lack of bandwidth one can point to another example of higher bandwidth. Of courses the more densely populated the are the more likely it is to find high speed options.

I can't disclose specifics but there are areas in Arkansas where ISPs offer symmetrical gigabit service.

I'm guessing those areas are in the heart of downtown Little Rock and/or the NW corner near some REALLY large company HQs (Tyson, Wal Mart, etc.).

John

Back