• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Black ceiling for not just HT room but whole basement??

mcad64

I know most good commercial theatres have black ceilings. I know that Batman's ceiling is black in his HT room. How many others on here have a black ceiling in their HT room? We are in the process of redoing our basement. Our painter , my wife and myself were downstairs discussing wall colours now that our new floor is installed. I jokingly said I would love black ceilings!! Painter said absolutely...wife poo pooed it!! Problem is, mine is not a dedicated HT room. It is a drop ceiling that is the standard white right now. He said he has painted drop ceilings before. His comment to my wife is that when you have a drop ceiling it sort of makes the ceiling fade away...if that makes any sense?
Mike

It's common for higher than average budget HT.

images

images

I have a black drop ceiling in the whole basement area outside of the theater and it gets more compliments than any other element.

Cool that is good to know. If you don't mind me asking what product did you use? Ceilume? My painter says he could just paint my existing white tiles black. But Ceilume and another company here in Canada make some really nice looking raised panel types.
Thanks,
Mike
PS: Are there photos of your ceiling in the rest of the basement? Which thread would they be under?
PSS: Again if you don't mind me asking how low are your drop ceilings?

I'll try and remember to check all that info when I get home later Mike...

Wow,
Only took me a year to get around to it!! Basement walls are finally painted. Bar and built in AV unit coming next week. Again, wife and painter and I talked about black ceilings. These are from Armstrong. Fine fissured is cheapest and the best acoustically. The coffered would add an aesthetic touch, perhaps combined with fine fissure? Might buy a box of each, but since they are special order, they are mine no matter what!!

abp_1280BL_swatch
Easy Elegance coffer
abp_1728BL_swatch
Fine Fissured
abp_1282BL_swatch
Shallow Coffer

Bats,
What do yours look like??

Thanks,
Mike

I guess of that lot pictured mine most closely resembles the fine fissured, but mine do have a slight reveal with a beveled edge that hangs ever so slightly below the grid....I'm VERY happy with it.

Sorry Mike I lost track of this thread last year. I had a host of pics in my S&V thread I'm sure they're still in my photobucket account just have to do some digging. I can always take new pics as well. Also one half of the rec area is approx 7.5' and the other half is 8.5'. The lower side was to get below the HVAC ducts and rather than build around them I just made the whole side on one plane. Has never been an issue and I'm sure it looks much nicer than soffiting around the ducts with grid and tiles...

I painted the ceiling in our audio room dark brown (coffeehouse chocolate from Benjamin Moore) and love it. Changes the feel of the room...makes it warmer and more cozy.

Of the three tiles, I like the second one. I think the first and third would look good in a traditional style home / theater. The second one may be more versatile.

Good luck!

Back