• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bob Dylan Sells Song Catalog

mzpro5

Famous
Bob Dylan Sells Songwriting Catalog In Nine-Figure Deal

Bob Dylan has sold his entire songwriting catalog — more than 600 songs written over nearly 60 years — to Universal Music Publishing Group, in a deal announced Monday morning by Universal.

The agreement was first reported by The New York Times, which said that it is worth over $300 million. The deal with Dylan may be the highest price ever paid for a musician or group's songwriting rights. (Universal has not disclosed the purchase price.)

Looks like someone is doing estate planning

I saw that this morning.

Bob is not getting any younger and my guess is he has all the money he needs so it comes down to taking care of your heirs, I suppose.

Bob could have kept the rights to all of that and his heirs could have eaten for a lifetime.

Taking the money right now is guaranteed and his heirs will be able to eat for a lifetime.

What happens in the future?
What changes does the music industry undergo?
What if the Supreme Court decides intellectual property is no longer a thing.

I am pontificating on complete conjecture but the decision makes sense to me. Hell, his motives may be completely different, I have no idea.

But a bird in the hand...

Heard this morning its the best way to monetize music, as everything is streamed nowadays. There ARE artists who don't allow anyone to post their music on EweTube, not quite sure how they do that. Randy you're right, what happens in the future, or even now?

Stevie Nicks did too- https://www.billboard.com/articles/...28/stevie-nicks-publishing-primary-wave-music

Seems like some of these artists are cashing in for retirement. Heck, if I had something worth that kind of scratch I'd have a hard time not taking the money and running.

Some of it could be driven by tax laws- with the Trump tax structure currently in effect and nearly certain to sunset or be outright repealed (not trying to be political here, but financial), it's advantageous to make that move while tax rates are relatively low.

I saw that this morning.

Bob is not getting any younger and my guess is he has all the money he needs so it comes down to taking care of your heirs, I suppose.

Bob could have kept the rights to all of that and his heirs could have eaten for a lifetime.

Taking the money right now is guaranteed and his heirs will be able to eat for a lifetime.

What happens in the future?
What changes does the music industry undergo?
What if the Supreme Court decides intellectual property is no longer a thing.

I am pontificating on complete conjecture but the decision makes sense to me. Hell, his motives may be completely different, I have no idea.

But a bird in the hand...
Sometimes I like the quote from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books...

"If it's between that and taking the money and running, well, I for one could do with the exercise."

I read about Stevie Nicks the other day too. I read she sold her catalog for 100 million. Dylan sold 600 song catalog for "more" than 300 million. I doubt Stevie Nicks catalog had 200 songs. SO , my question is, is the dollar value based on the number of songs or the popularity of the song/artist? I assume it's the popularity of the songs and how often these new owners can use the song and make money off it. My guess is more young people want to hear/stream Landslide , Dreams, or Edge of Seventeen, then want to hear It Aint' me Babe, or I Want You.

Popularity and frequency of covers (i.e. royalties) - EVERYONE covers a Dylan song at some point, it seems. As much as I like SN ... not so much.

So I assume this will not be in the deal for Stevie Nicks. Written by Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. One of her biggest solo hits.
But as Tom famously said to Stevie "No girls allowed."

Lest it seem like I am slagging Stevie Nicks.
I give you Edge of Seventeen. Off the album Bella Donna . 1982. I was 18. I remember it well!!!
Waddy Wachtel playing that kick ass guitar.

Last edited:
So I assume this will not be in the deal for Stevie Nicks. Written by Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. One of her biggest solo hits.
But as Tom famously said to Stevie "No girls allowed."
I remember giggling when "Leather and Lace" (the single) came out; a great duet song, but Tom's voice was higher, and thinner than Stevie's, just threw the whole thing off. Had the male part been sung by, say, Neil Diamond, it would've worked so much better.
That's only my opinion, but it should be yours too. :p

I remember giggling when "Leather and Lace" (the single) came out; a great duet song, but Tom's voice was higher, and thinner than Stevie's, just threw the whole thing off. Had the male part been sung by, say, Neil Diamond, it would've worked so much better.
That's only my opinion, but it should be yours too. :p
Botch,
I think that duet was with Don Henley.

Back