• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Boom box not booming

mcad64

My relatively new (6 months or so) SVS PB 2000 has fallen silent. Couple of calls to SVS to trouble shoot and it has been decided I need a new amp. Waiting to hear from Sonic Boom Audio (the Canadian distributor) as to what happens next. SVS customer service was A+, the sub....not so much. I have a 10 year old Paradigm PDR 10 (made in Canada) still chugging along. I have a 5 year old Axiom EP 350 (made In Canada) still chugging along. Do I blame the P.R.C. for this??
Mike

You may not have to blame anyone sometimes these things just break. As long as they make it right, all is good.

Curious...

A quiuck perusal of SVS' web pages for the PB-2000 (including the posted owner's manual) turned up no reference(s) to the dreaded PRC.

Perchance is there a sticker on the rear end of said beast that so proclaims its tainted origin?

Jeff

ps. Totally (almost) unrelated: I saw recently that Outlaw's most recent new amp is made in the PRC. When will they learn?

JeffMackwood said:
Curious...

A quiuck perusal of SVS' web pages for the PB-2000 (including the posted owner's manual) turned up no reference(s) to the dreaded PRC.

Perchance is there a sticker on the rear end of said beast that so proclaims its tainted origin?

Jeff

ps. Totally (almost) unrelated: I saw recently that Outlaw's most recent new amp is made in the PRC. When will they learn?
Jeff,
It almost looks like the sticker was an addendum added over top of what was originally stamped/printed on the metal plate. Reads "Design and Engineering by SVS, Ohio , USA, Made in P.R.C. Exclusively for SVS."
Randy,
I am sure they will make it right,so no sweat here. Like you said, shit happens. It just seems that more "shit happens" when the product is coming out of China. But I guess we can't have cheap and domestically made any more, can we?

Mike

^ Power Sound Audio, who we all should know here, recently designed out the Bash Amps (China) and designed in ICEPower Amps made in the Good Ole' U.S.A. Their drivers are also made here.

I'm not sure we can blame the China for all defects. I have a Malaysian Onkyo that has bee repaired in the USA twice and is having problems again.

Back in the 1990's I worked with suppliers in China and Asia on Custom Electro-Mechanical Components for use in Power Conversion Products. Had some really good ones and disqualified/never qualified those that did not have robust processes in place and data to support it. I had to work with them VERY closely.

The "Quality Sucks from China" to me just a stereo-type.

Robust designs that go through rigorous DVT and Strife testing have better reliability chances then those that don't, however variations in the MFG Process often cause the premature failures but not always.

I could go on with this for hours...............

It just sucks when you buy that NEW product from that GREAT Company and have to experience product failures.

I have an ongoing nuisance issue with my Outlaw 975 Pre/Pro, that Outlaw continues to ignore. It is a nuisance issue and bugs me, however will live with it for now. Yes, it is made in CHINA..................

heeman said:
The "Quality Sucks from China" to me just a stereo-type.
^THIS!

Poor quality isn't always synonymous with China. The blame lies squarely with those that designed the product and what they conveyed to their Chinese colleagues. If you convey quality to them, you'll get quality. But if you leave it up to them, you'll likely get the proverbial "Chinese crap".

I believe it was Paul Barton (of PSB) who, about 10 years ago, started having his speakers made in China. When called on it, and accused of being an off-shore sellout, he scoffed and said "I teach them quality. I get quality."

Sadly, not everyone does that. I think most companies simply say "Make this as cheaply as you can."

Zing said:
^THIS!

Poor quality isn't always synonymous with China. The blame lies squarely with those that designed the product and what they conveyed to their Chinese colleagues. If you convey quality to them, you'll get quality. But if you leave it up to them, you'll likely get the proverbial "Chinese crap".

I believe it was Paul Barton (of PSB) who, about 10 years ago, started having his speakers made in China. When called on it, and accused of being an off-shore sellout, he scoffed and said "I teach them quality. I get quality."

Sadly, not everyone does that. I think most companies simply say "Make this as cheaply as you can."

I have PSB Platinums that say "made in Canada" on the back. Whew!!! The people who designed this product were SVS. I have heard nothing but good things about them. That is partly why I bought this particular sub. I guess I just got a lemon. I suppose the rest of you that own SVS bought them before they went to China?
Just so that I am clear. I have given up on ALL modern electronics and appliances, I am not singling out SVS . Seems they just don't build em like they used to.
Mike

About 12-13 years ago I purchased an SVS PB12 Ultra. I don't know where the parts at the time were manufactured but I didn't have to push it hard to get the driver to bottom out and make this cracking noise. Before I was able to see the repairs thru, we sold the home with the HT as is and it became not my problem anymore. I also blew out the HSU VTF15 a couple years ago and that driver required replacement. I have a KEF Q100 bookshelf speaker around here that needs a crossover. The bottom line is all manufacturers across ALL industries are gonna produce the occasional dud if they produce enough product and are in business long enough. The percentages dictate so. If anyone expects otherwise, they're kidding themselves, you just gotta hope you're not the one to receive it.

mcad64 said:
I have given up on ALL modern electronics and appliances, I am not singling out SVS . Seems they just don't build em like they used to.
That's especially true in SVS's case.

In 2008 I drove out there to pick up a pair of their MBS-02 speakers. I met their GM at the time who, while giving me a tour of the facility, asked what other SVS products I owned. I told him I had a PB12-NSD/2. He looked me square in the eye and said "Ah, nice. You got one of the last good SVS subs."

I don't know how any reasonable person wouldn't take from that that their products are now inferior to what they once were.

Zing said:

In 2008 I drove out there to pick up a pair of their MBS-02 speakers. I met their GM at the time who, while giving me a tour of the facility, asked what other SVS products I owned. I told him I had a PB12-NSD/2. He looked me square in the eye and said "Ah, nice. You got one of the last good SVS subs."

I don't know how any reasonable person wouldn't take from that that their products are now inferior to what they once were.

Now you tell me this!! :angry-banghead: :D

mcad64 said:
Zing said:

Now you tell me this!! :angry-banghead: :D
Ummm... I offered to hand deliver Zing's PB12-NSD/2 direct to your door but nooooo.. you had to go buy a brand new PRC sub instead!

:)

Jeff

Still using my PB12 NSD 12/2 and it still shakes my house with deep tight bass and I love it. I would've bought Zings as he gave me a fantastic price (incl. delivery) but I just had no room in my small house for it. I still kick myself for not trying to find somewhere to place that beast but I just had nowhere to put it.

Back