• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bright

Huey

Famous
Anybody watch this since it was released on Netflix on Friday? I had to chance to catch it yesterday, and it's just ok. I don't think it's as big a turd as critics are calling it, but it does seem to be missing something. Will Smith's character certainly doesn't come off as loveable or even likeable. Movie at times also seemed very dark and hard to see what was going on, but I wasn't watching it in a completely dark room. I'm kind of surprised they have green lit a 2nd movie so quickly, but I guess eventually we will see a part two.

I haven't watched it but from the clips I saw on Netflix it seems this is just a total ripoff of the 1988 film Alien Nation (which also became a TV series), just replacing aliens with "magic beings".

The funny thing with me is that when reviews are as terrible as they are for Bright, I go in with such extremely low expectations that I am usually pleasantly surprised. The opposite it true when reviewers are overwhelmingly positive. That’s why if there’s even a movie I really want to see that I’ll go into a media black-out and avoid reading anything about it before I can get around to seeing it.

I couldn’t be any less interested. It simply doesn’t look like something I’d enjoy.

I haven't watched it but from the clips I saw on Netflix it seems this is just a total ripoff of the 1988 film Alien Nation (which also became a TV series), just replacing aliens with "magic beings".
That's exactly what I was thinking of as well when watching it.

I think in 10 years it will be cult classic and ComicCon will be filled with people dressed as the characters and, like the Evil Dead, will be loved by millions. Everything in it misses the mark at the moment, but it will be cheesy and kitsch soon enough.

I think "Big Trouble in Little China" was similar. When it was released it was too silly to be taken seriously, and not obviously funny enough to be a great comedy. But when it came out on VHS a year, or so, later culture was ready for it to be hilariously kitsch and the characters became legendary.

I think Flint is probably on point with this one.

I also don't think it's as bad as the critics say (28%)... or as good as the users say (89%) on Rotten Tomatoes. It hits my soft spot, so I probably liked it more than I should, but I'd give it a 6.5/10. Worth a watch, but not gonna win any awards.

If, and I mean IF, you can watch it as a satire of the genre and accept all the "borrowing" from every story like it AND the terrible acting and poor banter, it is a hoot to watch. Seriously, I laughed quite a bit during this movie - not at intentional jokes but at the kitsch and obviously failed attempts to be something it is not.

For me, on that measure, I give it a 7/10 - up there with Evil Dead, Big Trouble in Little China, Repoman, and so many others.

Back