• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Carada screen install questions

mcad64

Finally getting around to installing my screen. Quick question. My screen is a 104" diagonal. You are given a 4 foot and 1 foot piece to mount unto the wall (top and bottom)and the the screen rests on these mounting brackets. The 4 footer goes on top and has holes drilled every 4 inches for a total of 11 holes. I am hoping that I should be able to hit 2 studs if they are on 16 inch centres, but who knows as this house is FUBAR!! So for the other holes I was going to use spring toggle bolts rather than those easy anchors?
I am not a physics guy so I was wondering? Is using all eleven holes necessary? Do I simply divide the total weight of screen (if I ever find it) by the number of anchors I use (as many as eleven) and that tells me the load for each? Need to figure out what size of spring toggles or anchors (which do you think is better) I need to get!! Help??
Thanks,
Mike

Those bracket usually have a little flex in them, depending on the rigidity of the bracket you probably can get away with 5-6 if you catch a stud and install them evenly...

When I hung mine, I only used three screws for the top bracket. Granted, that screen was only 64" so I think if you hit at least two studs, five screws should make it plenty secure.

Called the Carada guy who was very helpful. Screen weighs 31lbs. So like you guys he said 5 should probably be fine. I think I can hit two studs. Just curious , did you install the bottom bracket as well. It bears no weight and besides it falling off due to an earthquake, I don't see the point?
Thanks,
Mike

mcad64 said:
...did you install the bottom bracket as well.
I did. True, it bears no weight but it helps to keep the entire screen flat against the wall.

It's simply to keep the bottom secure, usually they add slight tension to the lower rail.

The top barcket doesn't need to be perfectly centered on the frame so, even if your studs are on 2' centers a 4' bracket should be able be positioned to hit 3 studs. Assuming 2' centers the abosolute WORST thing that can happen is your bracket will be 1' off center.

mcad64 said:
Finally getting around to installing my screen. Quick question. My screen is a 104" diagonal. You are given a 4 foot and 1 foot piece to mount unto the wall (top and bottom)and the the screen rests on these mounting brackets. The 4 footer goes on top and has holes drilled every 4 inches for a total of 11 holes. I am hoping that I should be able to hit 2 studs if they are on 16 inch centres, but who knows as this house is FUBAR!! So for the other holes I was going to use spring toggle bolts rather than those easy anchors?
I am not a physics guy so I was wondering? Is using all eleven holes necessary? Do I simply divide the total weight of screen (if I ever find it) by the number of anchors I use (as many as eleven) and that tells me the load for each? Need to figure out what size of spring toggles or anchors (which do you think is better) I need to get!! Help??
Thanks,
Mike
This may sound completely nuts, but why not first screw a 1"x4" (x whatever length - typically much longer than you need, but still hidden behind where the screen will be) to the wall, hitting plenty of studs, and then screw the mounting brackets through (and to) the 1"x4". I've done this lots of times for other applications where studs are few and far between. Same at the bottom. Sure the screen ends up 3/4" closer to you, but at least it's good and firm.

Or am I missing something here?

JeffMackwood said:
mcad64 said:
Thanks,
Mike
This may sound completely nuts, but why not first screw a 1"x4" (x whatever length - typically much longer than you need, but still hidden behind where the screen will be) to the wall, hitting plenty of studs, and then screw the mounting brackets through (and to) the 1"x4". I've done this lots of times for other applications where studs are few and far between. Same at the bottom. Sure the screen ends up 3/4" closer to you, but at least it's good and firm.

Or am I missing something here?

Jeff,
You are completely nuts, and you are totally missing something!!! :teasing-tease: Other than that your suggestion makes perfect sense!!
Mike

Thats what I did with mine but for a different reason.

That method will make the screen stand-off the wall by the thinkness of the brace. I needed that because I have a chair rail going around the room and without the stand-off the screen would have been tilted back. Besides it makes the screen appear to float.

HT.jpg

HT-2.jpg

Got the Carada screen hung up on Friday. Used the supplied top bracket only and hit 3 studs so we figured that was good enough. Didn't install the bottom only because my walls are so bad it would have actually bowed the screen back at the bottom. As it hangs now it is level. Since I don't have a dog, and my kids know not to ever touch the screen and I don't live in earthquake territory I think it will be ok. When I first laid the screen material over the frame I thought the material was too small for the frame. Really had to pull to get the snaps on. Looks much nicer than the old pull down for sure!! I do wonder what will happen to the screen tension over time?
Next project, take old screen to garage and set up a golf simulator out there!! :D
Mike

mcad64 said:
I do wonder what will happen to the screen tension over time?
My screen is nearing 5 years old and it's as taut as Day 1. I think you'll be fine.

Back