• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cat-6 Ethernet Cable

Snake Doctor

I am making another attempt to clean up the wiring behind the scenes, one of the things I want to do is replace a 10 -12 foot network (Patch) cable that is going from one unit to another a distance of about 2-3 feet. My house is wired with Cat-5 does anyone one know if the Cat-6 is backward compatible?

A lot of the Cat-6 cables are flat, but I doubt if that matters. I could go with Cat-5, but I believe if you replace something it should be replaced with something better.

Yes, it is backwards compatible. Cat-6 has much higher tolerances on the insulation, twist-rate, leakage, and other such critical properties to ensure the ability to deliver high bandwidth for data with less noise and other issues.

Cat-8 cable will start showing up on the shelves in a year, but it is overkill for simple data applications as the main changes are associated with the future need to provide high power over the cable in addition to data.

If you've got money with nothing better to do with then go with cat6. At that distance there will be no performance improvement unless your speeds are over a gig.

It won't hurt. It just won't help.

If you've got money with nothing better to do with then go with cat6. At that distance there will be no performance improvement unless your speeds are over a gig.

It won't hurt. It just won't help.

Actually, the Cat-6 cables I am looking at on Amazon do not cost any more then the Cat-5 and they have very high reviews. When I looked at Blue Jeans (where I buy most of my cable) they wanted a little under $15 for a 3 foot cable. I understand they have what I consider to be a superior product, but I can get 5 Cat-6 for around $10.00. Guess which I am going with and I bet I could never tell the deference.

Really, CAT-5e is better than any home user will need over the next few years.

If you were installing permanent cables in the walls, I would spend more on the spool of CAT-6 or even wait for CAT-8. which will support powering larger devices plugged in to the network. But for pre-terminated patch cables, get CAT-5e and have fun, unless there is literally no price difference.

Really, CAT-5e is better than any home user will need over the next few years.

If you were installing permanent cables in the walls, I would spend more on the spool of CAT-6 or even wait for CAT-8. which will support powering larger devices plugged in to the network. But for pre-terminated patch cables, get CAT-5e and have fun, unless there is literally no price difference.

I agree, if I was going to rewire the house I would get CAT-6 from Blue Jeans,that is where I got the CAT-5, but for a two foot run, I will go with the price point.

Back