• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CC Subtitles

Snake Doctor

I have an older Sony Blu Ray player that I use to watch Netflix among other things. One of the shows we enjoy is from England or Australia so the actors have a strong accent, which is difficult to understand. I can't get cc or subtitles to come up while watching Netflix on my Blu Ray. I can see them if I stream via my tablet. So my question, are there any blu ray players that will support subtitles that are streamed via Netflix.

Just of out of curiosity, did you try pressing the "down" button on the directional pad to see if the CC option is there? As for a player, I know that the Rokus support CC from Netflix. I can check my Panny BD player and Samsung TV (which would presumably have the same app as a Sammy BD player) tonight.

John

I did try pressing the down button - several times. I have a Sony but it is about 3 maybe 4 years old. I will check out Rokus......Did you check you Panny?

Blu-Ray players are rudimentary media streamers at best. If you do a lot of streaming, a Roku 3 box is well worth the very small investment.

^^
If you can wait, Roku 4 is suppost to be out sometime soon, last quarter...thats the rumor anyway.

Does the Roku get surround sound (at least DD) from Netflix streaming? I know it's not necessarily available for every title, but it'd be nice to have when it is. My (very) old Sony player only ever does stereo.

IIRC it is capable of DD but not all titles have that track. You should be able to see the audio format in the title details.

or try using the televisions CC, some of them work, some others don't. worth the shot if I can save you a couple of bucks.

jomari said:
or try using the televisions CC, some of them work, some others don't. worth the shot if I can save you a couple of bucks.

If I am streaming through my blu ray the tv is taken out of the equation and cc from the TV will not work.

I can cc any tv channels, but they are not coming via the blu ray.

PaulyT said:
Does the Roku get surround sound (at least DD) from Netflix streaming? I know it's not necessarily available for every title, but it'd be nice to have when it is. My (very) old Sony player only ever does stereo.

Yes, the Roku does DD (at least). I know this because Hell On Wheels sounds fantastic!

I promise I'll check the Panny tonight when I get home.

John

Snake Doctor said:
jomari said:

If I am streaming through my blu ray the tv is taken out of the equation and cc from the TV will not work.

I can cc any tv channels, but they are not coming via the blu ray.

I have to be honest, I haven't tried this for a while, but it just might work. nonetheless, the tv still receives the output, just don't know if it would receive the subtitle option. never hurts to try...

Back