• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Commercial Mode

Get an Anthem:

MUTE LEVEL When Mute is pressed, sound can cut out completely or decrease in volume by the amount that you set to keep some of it in the background. Select from Silent or -5 to -30 dB in 5 dB steps.

So with all the fancy processing, modes, doodads and such that receivers and pre/pros have programmed into them, why don't they have "commercial mode"?

So I am watching Iron Man 3 on TV now on FX and I have the ole HT fired up and its a decent enough experience until the commercials come on then I have to grab the remote and turn the volume way down so I can bare to stay in the room, then the commercials end and I have to grab the remote and turn the volume back up to where I had it.

So why don't they make a "commercial mode" where I single press a button and it lowers the volume by "X" db and when I single press the button again it toggles back to the previously set movie watching volume?

Or, does this already exist and I don't know it? I don't really want to mute the volume, simply take it down a few notches.

Mods, feel free to move this if you think it should go somewhere else. Umm, except the recycle bin...

I just watched a documentary about a tribe in the Amazon and during part of this, three kids were hungry and wanted a snack. They went into the jungle, used a stick to "tease" a giant tarantula out of it's hole, caught it by hand careful not to get bitten or have the hairs touch them (use of a leaf), started a fire, cooked the spider, and ate the spider. Success in eating a snack.

Guess Randy's problem with the effort required to turn the volume down would be considered a "first world problem"?

:devil:

The only thing I watch with commercials is the Live feed thru the CBS streaming channel. they frequently run an ad for a hearing aid and I smile when it comes on because the volume dramatically increases wit that ad.

It was Iron Man 3 I would think those loud distractions could take your mind off how God awful that movie was.

I basically never watch live TV of any kind unless it is the odd seasonal event (i.e. Macy's Parade) and I want to see it live. Pretty much everything I watch comes over an internet connection in one form or another (we currently have five streaming subscriptions). I despise ads and will happily pay extra to not see them.

I just watched a documentary about a tribe in the Amazon and during part of this, three kids were hungry and wanted a snack. They went into the jungle, used a stick to "tease" a giant tarantula out of it's hole, caught it by hand careful not to get bitten or have the hairs touch them (use of a leaf), started a fire, cooked the spider, and ate the spider. Success in eating a snack.

Guess Randy's problem with the effort required to turn the volume down would be considered a "first world problem"?

:devil:

So very very true my friend and thank you for bringing me that dose of reality.

I DO mute commercials, and taking a long d.... er, distraction lets live TV build up a buffer while I'm otherwise occupied, and I FF thru the commercials as much as possible.

What I really, really wish the TV manufacturers would do, is install a TV remote IoT notifier that alerts the broadcaster every time the viewer hits his "Mute" button (a velocity sensor on the Mute button would be even better). If advertisers knew how hated some of their commercials were, maybe they'd change (although they would certainly bounce the data against how effective they were; I've seen cases where the most obnoxious commercials were the most successful (this applies to other areas of life)).

If advertisers knew how hated some of their commercials were, maybe they'd change.....

Oh, I'm sure they know how obnoxious their commercials are, and the more obnoxious the better because obnoxious gets people's attention. The problem is that that they don't give a rat's ass how you feel about their commercials. That's OK, cuz I don't own a television machine and I don't give a rat's ass about them, their products, or their commercials. :nyah:

Back