• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Computer speakers - not crazy expensive

bmwuk

My friend is looking for a pair of speakers for his computer. But he doesn't want to break the bank. I only have experience with KRK rokits. Any other suggestions? Not sure his specific budget so I was going to throw out some suggestions. Thanks

Mackie CR3 desktop monitors sound pretty great for $80.
cr_primary_image_5bt_3qtr_left_0.png

Mackie CR3 desktop monitors sound pretty great for $80.
cr_primary_image_5bt_3qtr_left_0.png

Those look nice. I bought a pair of M-Audio monitors from Best Buy that were about the same price. I like them pretty well. They are not my Audioengine A5's but they were only 1/4th the price.

I have the Klipsch ProMedia THX 2.1 system collecting dust in a closet.

61Te1WisYNL._SX425_.jpg

I've used a Yamaha YST-MS50 for many years with no complaints. They're old, but sound pretty solid for computer speakers. I bought my set on Craigslist about 7-8 years ago. I see them pop up from time-to-time. If you were in the upstate of SC area, I'd pass them along.

Now, I use my Mackie HR824's in my setup. That may be overkill for him though. :D

147561d1520905567-review-yamaha-yst-ms50-multimedia-speakers-deliver-great-sound-cheap-ystms50b_speaker_subwoofer-95c042f703ff7c7fbfa9732afffbcede.jpg

Last edited:
The Mackie CR3s benefit from a subwoofer, as they only have 3-inch midrange drivers and are a bit lacking on bass. Fortunately, I had the perfect thing lying around:
seL8k3i.jpg

The Mackie CR3s benefit from a subwoofer, as they only have 3-inch midrange drivers and are a bit lacking on bass. Fortunately, I had the perfect thing lying around:
seL8k3i.jpg

How does the cat effect the Mackie's bass performance???

seL8k3i.jpg
Glad I am not the only one who is not bothered by the lack of wire management. :biggrin:

Back