• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Controlling iTunes with my Android! Cool!!!

Kazaam

Don't know why I never bothered to look for an app before, but I actually found one that works really well.

For those of us who use iTunes combined with an Airport Express (or maybe Apple TV???) for our music streaming server, it's basically an Android version of Apple's own iPhone/iPad remote control app that lets you control the iTunes library on your desktop/laptop from your phone. The laptop/computer is still storing the files and doing the streaming, but with the remote app you can control things: select songs to play, shuffle, repeat, etc.

I tried a bunch of other demos and also a few free apps, but the one I bought was "Remote For iTunes" by Hyperfine. I had to think twice about paying the $3.99 price, but it seems to be more stable than some of the others. And it does allow me to insert tracks into the "Up Next" feature; albeit, it's not overly intuitive but it does work once you figure it out. So figured what the heck.

But on my next phone (or more likely a tablet) I'll look into an app called "Retune" that is free and had good reviews. (I would've tried it, but it wasn't available for my current phone.)

I must be strange. I use iTunes to manage my music library, but I don't use any of its streaming capabilities at all. I manage my library with iTunes and then serve up my music with the Plex and Logitech (Squeezebox) media servers.

Haywood said:
I must be strange. I use iTunes to manage my music library, but I don't use any of its streaming capabilities at all. I manage my library with iTunes and then serve up my music with the Plex and Logitech (Squeezebox) media servers.

Big weirdo! :happy-smileygiantred:

Somewhat ironically, I had been using an Airport Express for a few years so that I could wirelessly bridge an Escient Fireball server; but I hadn't ever tried using the Airport as a music streamer until the Escient pooped out. So I bought a laptop and it was at that point that I got hard core into using iTunes for my library. Though, I did already have an iPod. I just wasn't as deep into it then as I am now.

I need to find a better library management solution than iTunes. Its tagging abilities really suck and I hate the why it organizes the physical files (though I seem to have found a work-around for that).

Back