• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Current Pre-Pro of Choice: Feb 2018

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
From another thread about a different topic, a few of us started talking about current pre-pro choices. I copied those posts here:

By the way, it appears the current best value hard to beat HT preamp is from Yamaha. If I were to upgrade, that's what I'd be looking at.

From my DORO flip Phone.

(Just kidding!)

Jeff

Just curious ... why the Yamaha A5100 over the Marantz 7704?

Word is the Yamaha offers better performance for audio in general, which has always been a strength for Yamaha's digital products, and many prefer the Yamaha auto tuning over Audessey. Also, all of the advanced controls are available to anyone willing to take it on, whereas the Marantz limits some controls to custom installers. I am sure there's a hack for nerds like us to get to those controls, but out of the box Yamaha has no restrictions. Yamaha also gets high marks for their dynamic range features, though I would probably never use them.

But, why any preamp over another when most of the features are functionally similar? I am just reporting what many have claimed. I've never actually touched, heard, or experienced either.

I would like to see a pre/pro with all the digital features, but far fewer analog input options. The sheer size of these things is insane when you only utilize 8% of the jacks on the back.

It appears the Marantz and Yamaha models are the ones to beat, but Onkyo/Integra are still players.

Back