• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

D-box and Ultra AVX

mcad64

Just wondering if any of you have been to a theatre with D-box mostly. Not sure if that is the term they use in the States or not? Basically the seats move slightly!! Ultra AVX is 4k , larger screens and Dolby Atmos. The kids want to see Star Wars and dad wants to cheap out. Anybody have any experience with D-box I would appreciate hearing it.
Thanks,
Mike

I've been to several movies presented in AVX and Ultra AVX. The presentation is great.
I've experienced a few demos in DBox and will avoid ever seeing a full movie that way. I found the motion to be distracting at best and annoying at worst.

I can't stand D-box. I can hardly stand running the subs at a level that rumble the floor enough to transfer into the seating.

So is it then fair to say that if we throw out D-box, IMAX is better than Ultra AVX? I assume so!

So is it then fair to say that if we throw out D-box, IMAX is better than Ultra AVX? I assume so!

My local cineplex has both and I think we're splitting hairs between the PQ of IMAX and AVX. They're both really good and what Ultra AVX may give away on PQ is made up for with Atmos. I wouldn't hesitate even a little to see either. If both were an option and the time of the show wasn't an issue and I could reserve a good seat at either ... I'd probably go with Atmos.

My local cineplex has both and I think we're splitting hairs between the PQ of IMAX and AVX. They're both really good and what Ultra AVX may give away on PQ is made up for with Atmos. I wouldn't hesitate even a little to see either. If both were an option and the time of the show wasn't an issue and I could reserve a good seat at either ... I'd probably go with Atmos.

Another dumb question. I guess they both are in 3d?? I'm asking because my local theatre only lists Rogue One with Ultra AVX in 3d, as does the local IMAX. I am not a fan of 3D partly because I don't feel like it adds that much to the movie for the extra price, AND I hate wearing glasses over my glasses!!

Another dumb question. I guess they both are in 3d?? I'm asking because my local theatre only lists Rogue One with Ultra AVX in 3d, as does the local IMAX. I am not a fan of 3D partly because I don't feel like it adds that much to the movie for the extra price, AND I hate wearing glasses over my glasses!!

Both are capable of 3D and if the listing doesn't say 3D than its safe to assume it's not in 3d and vice-versa.

Each theater is different and at my local place the IMAX shows are almost always 3D and the AVX shows are hit and miss (some are and some aren't). It just so happens that the best actual seats at my place are in the AVX theaters where they have pairs of comfy oversized electric recliners with swing-out tray and fold-up arms. The IMAX seats are typical fold-down style chairs.

I found the 3D version of Rogue One to be utterly pointless. Sure it added some depth for the character in the foreground but otherwise I saw no sense in using it at all.

As for D box I've been in a private theater that the owner had it set up. For some movies I'd say hell yes (like racing movies or movies like The Incredibles) but for most it would be just a distraction from the story.

I've never watched a movie in D Box, although one of the theaters we frequent does have it. I will say though, that when we had the bass shakers hooked up to the couch, I did enjoy having them very much. I made sure to turn them down as well as only send the lower end sounds to them, but when I got them dialed in, they did enhance things. Only reason I stopped using them, is the amps to drive them were very noisy with fan noise.

That's a loud fucking amp!!
I should mention that these shakers and amps were purchased from Woot, and were more for gaming than movies, hence the cheap and loud amps. Plus the impedance on the shakers was like 2 or 4, so it took a lot to drive them.

Back