• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Davy Jones of the Monkeys dead

Srvy

Davy Jones, the lead singer of the 1960s rock band The Monkees has died. He was 66.

An official from the Martin County, Fla. medical examiner’s office confirmed to ABC News that the office has been notified of Jones’ death and is is “currently evaluating whether or not the medical examiners office will take jurisdiction.”

Representatives for Jones did not immediately respond to ABCNews.com’s requests for comment. Jones is survived by his wife, Jessica, and four daughters from previous marriages.

The British born Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 and fronted a stable of rock hits, including “Daydream Believer” and “I’m a Believer.” The band was formed as part of a TV series about a rock band also called “The Monkees.” When the show got canceled in 1971, the group, which included Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith, broke up.

They reunited in various incarnations, most recently last spring for a tour through England and America. A second leg of the tour was slated for fall 2011 but the dates were axed without explanation in August.

RIP Davy. You were the first Daydream Believer....

Heard this on the radio, and was shocked. 66 seems awful young to die. Always liked the Monkees, and was glad to hear that they were touring again, this time with Mike Nesmith, although it sounds like the tour was cut short last year. RIP!

Just saw that and I agree, 66 is way too young. RIP Davy.

Man, I kinda dug the Monkees. Last Train to Clarksville was a really cool song. I watched VH1 doc on them recently and it reminded me of how good they actually were.

Man Ill never forget the fights me and my brother had with my sister and her friends growing up. We want to watch cartoons and Sis wanted to watch the Monkey's.
We protested but once my sister won we always watched and was interested and yes they were very good.

Star Trek, in their second season, added the character Pavel Chekov. It was because the Monkees aired in the same time slot, and they were feeling the loss in viewers. So they added a new character that resembled Davey Jones in appearance. If you look at the older Star Treks, you'll definitely see the similarities.

remember reading this somewhere dont know if its true or not.

Randy said:
Last Train to Clarksville was a really cool song.

For a short time cereal boxes came with singles, pressed into plastic, on their backs. I actually had Last Train to Clarksville on vinyl/cardboard! Think I had one by Bobby Sherman too, but he was ghey.

The Monkees gave the US their first introduction to Jimi Hendrix by having Jimi open up for them. Wonder if Jersey will fly their flag at half mast for him considering The Monkees had more number ones than Whitney ever did.

MatthewB said:
The Monkees gave the US their first introduction to Jimi Hendrix by having Jimi open up for them. Wonder if Jersey will fly their flag at half mast for him considering The Monkees had more number ones than Whitney ever did.

Thats cool never knew that.

RIP Davey.

When I was 15 I actually saw The Monkees at a public appearance publicity tour. They didn't play but came on stage, goofed around and signed autographs. I was not close enough to get an autograph though.

My sister and I got portable 8 track players for Christmas one year, and one of the tapes that we received was the Monkees Greatest hits. Played the shit out that 8 track.

I'm an old fart........loved watching the Monkee's on the tube.............& enjoyed their music....but never could understand Mike wearing a stocking hat while on the beach. :scared-eek:
Hey Hey we're the Monkees ♪ ♫ ♪

Barney said:
....but never could understand Mike wearing a stocking hat while on the beach. :scared-eek:

You're right! He was 40 years ahead of his time! :D

Back