• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dedicated Home Theater Dimensions

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I have been investigating proper dimensions for a dedicated HT Room ON GOOGLEand understand that it should not be square. There are calculations with ratio's and an advisement not to have the 3 dimensions that can be divided evenly by the same number.

That being said, can you guys with dedicated HT Rooms give us the dimensions and also comments about what you would have done if you could do it all over again.

I search our forum and could not find any threads that discussed this topic.

edit: ON GOOGLE

Yeah, dimensions should not be multiples (or near-fraction multiples like 1.5) of each other; maybe prime numbers like 11x17x19 or something. But even better, as I understand it, is to have non-parallel walls, though obviously construction-wise that may be complicated.

Zing said:
This may be of some use for you.

:text-link:

See edit above.

My specific question as state above is:

"can you guys with dedicated HT Rooms give us the dimensions and also comments about what you would have done if you could do it all over again."

This is a forum for HT/Audio/Video/Drinking/Eating..........right????

Aw, come on, don't be bitter. I was just funnin' ya. Besides, I fully expected Flint to rip apart the Google links, dismiss them as hogwash and bestow upon us his omnipotent input for such matters.

If I buy you a beer will you love me again? :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Wow! I didn't realize that my response came off bitter..............these typed words can certainly mix up the message, but I will always take a beer!

There is a very important reason that I ask this question........

Maybe I dont qualify to comment because I didn't build my HT, the space was there when I bought the house. My room essentially is square but because of the cabinets on the back wall the effective space is 2' wider than it is deep.

If I were building an HT I would only consider the math of the dimensions until cost became a factor. I think that it'd be easy to get consumed with acoustics and math and "what ifs" and forget what you started out to create. That said what I want from an HT may not be what you want. I'm more worried about having a fun, inviting and usable space that getting the absolute last ounce of audio perfection that I'd only really see on an RTA.

Towen7 said:
Maybe I dont qualify to comment because I didn't build my HT, the space was there when I bought the house. My room essentially is square but because of the cabinets on the back wall the effective space is 2' wider than it is deep.

If I were building an HT I would only consider the math of the dimensions until cost became a factor. I think that it'd be easy to get consumed with acoustics and math and "what ifs" and forget what you started out to create. That said what I want from an HT may not be what you want. I'm more worried about having a fun, inviting and usable space that getting the absolute last ounce of audio perfection that I'd only really see on an RTA.

Even though you didn't build your room, the finishing touches and layout are outstanding.

Thanks for your feedback......

Thanks ... just realized that I didn't answer the second part of your question.

It's the placement (as it relates to other rooms in the home) that I'd like to change about my setup.

This a general guideline kinda thing for those who have complete control over their room size and can do whatever they want.

Taken from:

http://www.home-theater-systems-advice. ... stics.html

The best theater room dimensions
The Golden Ratio for home theater room acoustics is an ancient Greek ratio called "Phi" or "the Golden Section". That ratio is one which is the room width of 1.6 times the height and the length being 2.6 times the room height. This acoustic room ratio is said to have the very best acoustic properties and has been used over the centuries since early times. In fact the ratio has been associated with the Egyptian pyramids and Stradivarius is said to have used it when building his masterpiece violins.

Randy said:
The Golden Ratio for home theater room acoustics is an ancient Greek ratio called "Phi" or "the Golden Section". That ratio is one which is the room width of 1.6 times the height and the length being 2.6 times the room height. This acoustic room ratio is said to have the very best acoustic properties and has been used over the centuries since early times. In fact the ratio has been associated with the Egyptian pyramids and Stradivarius is said to have used it when building his masterpiece violins.
I'm very familiar with the Golden Ratio, but those numbers are wrong! The simplest expression is "one over the square root of two" (I can't write the expression via HTML) which is 0.707, or the reciprocal of 1.414.
Geek Confession: I actually own a book, and have read it twice, about the Golden Ratio and how it appears in Art, Architecture, Nature and even Music (the examples in the book are a bit spotty on those last two, although the conformance of a cross-section of a Nautilus shell is stunning!).
I have a hall table that I built a few years ago that I designed per the Golden Ratio, I'll post a pic tomorrow. It is very pleasing to the eye.

(note: 1:6 is a ratio of one of the two Morse Tapers, and one of the two common woodworking Dovetail joints...)

EDIT: I'm wrong about the Morse taper, disregard... :oops:

Botch, is that assuming 8' ceilings?

According to the diagrams in the article by Ethan Whiner your math is correct as 138" is 0.707 of 195", which are the dimensions of the rooms in his examples, but it doesn't mention ceiling height, so I am assuming they are assuming standard 8' ceilings?

So I will BUMP this thread and ask the same question that few, a couple, one may have answered:

That being said, can you guys with dedicated HT Rooms give us the dimensions and also comments about what you would have done if you could do it all over again.

Linkwitz Labs:
The best rooms are at least 15 feet wide, 20 feet long and have a ceiling height of 8 feet or more. This allows the two loudspeakers of a stereo system to be placed symmetrically and with their tweeters at least 3 feet from side and rear walls. With the loudspeaker tweeters 8 feet apart the sweet spot is located on the room symmetry line and at 8 feet from left and right loudspeakers. This leaves more than 9 feet behind the listeners for the sound to travel before it is reflected back. It is very important for balanced phantom image creation that the immediate vicinity around the two loudspeakers is symmetrical.

Rope

Rope said:
Linkwitz Labs:
The best rooms are at least 15 feet wide, 20 feet long and have a ceiling height of 8 feet or more. This allows the two loudspeakers of a stereo system to be placed symmetrically and with their tweeters at least 3 feet from side and rear walls. With the loudspeaker tweeters 8 feet apart the sweet spot is located on the room symmetry line and at 8 feet from left and right loudspeakers. This leaves more than 9 feet behind the listeners for the sound to travel before it is reflected back. It is very important for balanced phantom image creation that the immediate vicinity around the two loudspeakers is symmetrical.

Rope

Rope, with all do respect that is not the answer to the question that I am asking........

Back