• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dish on roof

jamhead

I've researched Uverse and decided to go with Directv and dump Time Warner cable. Time Warner has raised my rates by 30 dollars each year and this past month, I called to lower the rate and they would only lower by 8 bucks. They were rude and had an F you attitude, so no more money for them.

Uverse, after researching, seemed like a good product, but their compression of HD is supposed to be pretty bad, and the install didn't seem pleasant.. ALso, bundling everything through them only saved us 20 dollars a month. I called them to go over the bill in detail and they were hitting me with a lot of charges that they didn't mention to my wife when she ordered. So, cancelled.

We used to have Direct and I really liked their product. However, in this house, the only way we can get it is to mount a dish on our roof (new 40 year asphalt roof installed last year). For those with a dish on the roof, have you had any problems? I called our roofer and he's coming out after Direct tv installs the dish to ensure it's a water tight job.

I hate the idea of drilling holes in the roof for something as stupid as TV, but it's my only choice that saves us money. So, any problems with your dishes, or roofs?

jamhead said:
I called our roofer and he's coming out after Direct tv installs the dish to ensure it's a water tight job.

With this, you're probably golden and I wouldn't worry. My house has a new 30-year roof with a dead OTA antenna on top, an idle Dish on top, a clipped old Comcast cable, a clipped cable from some company I can't even remember, and a current Comcast cable.

Only advice I can give: as cool as they are, do not get a skylight installed! :doh:

Hey Jammy, if you have a fireplace, they can strap the "dish" to the chimney, instead of drilling holes in your roof.

Just a thought,

Dennie

Oh, they usually attach the "dish" to the eve, so if it does leak, it won't get into the house, just drip through the eve.

That doesn't sound as good on paper as it did in my head! :confusion-scratchheadyellow: LOL

Dennie

Dropping cable is a smart decision, otherwise, people would have thought you had anger management issues, your schedule would have cleared up, you'd grow a scraggly beard and started taking in stray animals. Whew, you're lucky.

Rope

Rope said:
Dropping cable is a smart decision, otherwise, people would have thought you had anger management issues, your schedule would have cleared up, you'd grow a scraggly beard and started taking in stray animals. Whew, you're lucky.

Rope

On the other hand, you might get an eye patch. That'd be sweet!

CMonster said:
Rope said:

Rope

On the other hand, you might get an eye patch. That'd be sweet!

Just how tough you think that eye patch makes you?

Rope

I had one on the roof of my old house with asphalt shingles for about 10 yrs. and everything was fine.

Over the years I have had a dish in two different places on the roof with no problems. Also one on Mom's house no problem.

Just my $0.02. I use to have D* for along time & had a dish on two different roofs & never had an issue. We did have a hail storm on our last home & the roof needed to be replaced so the dish had to be removed, the roofers sealed the holes with non-harding sylicon (sp?). Then had to have it re-installed in a different location closer to the edge.
I would suggest if possible to have it mounted on an outside wall or like Dennie said on your chimney.The mounts are alot better these days.
I hate TWC(my Roadrunner service just went up 35%) but don't have any other options....no Verison FIOS & no AT&T services etc. :twocents-mytwocents:

Thanks guys. I can't mount the dish on the siding or the chimney as it's vinyl siding and the installer said that he couldn't do it. We also can't mount the dish on a pole in the yard due to the tall trees directly in line of site. I was excited about uverse coming to my area, but....we called to see what their bundle package was for the phone, internet, and TV and was quoted a price of 130 bucks. Once we scheduled the install, I called the billing department in an attempt to also transfer over the cell phone (Att) and had her go over the bundle package. She told me the initial operator was incorrect and that, based on her records, the monthly bill would have been 170 dollars. 20 bucks cheaper than our current rate. She said she didn't know where the sales rep got that figure, but our bill would not have been 130 bucks. So, due to the confusion and the overwhelmingly bad reviews, I cancelled.

I had direct at the other house (mounted on the siding) and was quite pleased with the service. Hopefully all will go well.

Jam, is it possible to have your roofer out at the same time as the Dish installer? That would be the best solution in my opinion. The dish installers are not roofers and don't know much about waterproofing. They will most likely just caulk around the base of the dish and think it's ok.

I would buy this if I had to install one on my shingle roof. http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Commdeck ... _Mount.htm

jamhead said:
Thanks guys. I can't mount the dish on the siding or the chimney as it's vinyl siding and the installer said that he couldn't do it..........

I have vinyl siding on my house and my dish is mounted on the eve, just below the roof-line. No issues here.

I'm with yesfan here...vinyl siding just is a thin covering over something solid......if you know whats under the vinyl & is solid.....why not ? Vinyl covering over solid is better that shingles covering particle board that pounded with rain, hail, snow, direct sun, wind etc.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, turns out I don't have line of sight. The first technician didn't go on the roof and thought it wouldn't be a problem. The guy that came out last weekend got up there and found no clear line......so, no satelite for me. Damn!

No. My backyard is full of tall trees, and even though the roof is a solid 30 feet from the ground, the dish won't clear the trees.

It'll cost you a little money, but if you know you'll stay with sat for a while, maybe pay to have a couple of trees topped off.

Yesfan70 said:
It'll cost you a little money, but if you know you'll stay with sat for a while, maybe pay to have a couple of trees topped off.

Or invest in a really tall tower. :mrgreen:

Back