• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY $150 Line Array

Kuro

Hello everyone, I thought I should post something to say Hi to everyone here. I am new to this forum, but I posted on S&V randomly back in the day (neo_densetsu). When I went back there recently I was sad to see everything dead, but then I found this place. Thanks to everyone there, I learned a lot about my Altec A7s that my grandfather gave me.

The Altecs were amazing speakers, but I was forced to move to a much smaller living space, where I could not use them. This lead me to build something with a high efficiency with a small foot print, a set of line arrays. I found some really inexpensive Sony neodymium 5.25" woofers (.69 cents each), which had very surprising performance for something that was designed to be used in one of those UFO like boom-boxes. At 12 drivers per side, this put the theoretical efficiency at 96 DB. Paired with an inexpensive set of Vifa tweeters, this sounded quite good for the money ( I just ordered some Vifa DX25 soft domes to replace the cheaper ones). The crossover is a simple 1st order design, crossed over at 2.5K. This is probably the weak link of the whole setup, but some day I plan to build a four channel LM3886 chipamp to use with an active crossover. I built the cabinets out of 1/2" MDF (I will never cheap out again), with a lot of bracing.

Parts pricing:
Woofers: $0.69 each, $16.56 total
Tweeters: ~$11 each, $22 total
Crossover: $20 a side, $40 total
MDF, wood glue and other random bits: $75

Total Price: $153.56

They don't sound nearly as good as my Altecs, but for $150 I am not complaining. Much better than my Def Tech Pro-Cinema 60 satellites, although they do lack a lot of low end. The mids are quite smooth. I am very curious to see how these will sound with the DX25 tweeters and a good crossover. One issue that I found with such tall speakers, is that it makes my TV look smaller.

Someone on the parts-express forums built something very similar, but it is an open baffle. Eventually I would like to try and use his design. ( I have enough left over drivers to build another set)

Here are some pics:

IMAG0365.jpg

This is me standing next to these for a size reference (I am 5' 9" tall)
DSC06874.jpg

Quite happy with the results of the baffles, considering this was my first time using a router.
DSC07212.jpg

This is showing the internal bracing, and I also tried using some of that tar mat stuff on the inside to add some more mass to the thin MDF. This was also my first attempt at a screw-less build, glue and clamps only.

:text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave:

Cool project! Glad to have you here!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Welcome, friend! Glad you found us here, and I think you'll find a good hangout here. You've got some talent and willingness to tinker, that's terrific.

Pull up a chair and stay a while. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Sounds like a good deal for $0.69 woofers! :laughing: And we'll help you find a new TV, don't worry. :D

Cheers!

Very cool man, and welcome aboard and welcome back, I guess... LOL

Very cool. Did you design/build the crossover yourself or buy a stock one from PE?

Towen7 said:
Very cool. Did you design/build the crossover yourself or buy a stock one from PE?

I just built the crossover myself, it's a simple first-order comprised of an inductor and capacitor. I'm not sure if any of the PE crossovers would have had the right specs for this project.

Maximo said:
that would make one hellacious center channel.

I actually was thinking about building a center channel with 6 or 8 of those drivers. The tricky part is getting it to match the other speakers as far as efficiency and impedance.

One of these days I will have to dig out my soundhound microphone and measure these speakers. Although a 20-20K sine sweep sounded quite flat.

Ok so if they are 6 ohm per are they all in parrallel or in series.

I would believe that the tweeter is too weak to compete with the efficient mids.

with the active crossover and adding a sub making for triamp you would be able to dial in the sound to equal levels.

Very nice and finally a project again. This is just what the Doc ordered.

Welcome aboard!!!

malsackj said:
Ok so if they are 6 ohm per are they all in parrallel or in series.

I would believe that the tweeter is too weak to compete with the efficient mids.

with the active crossover and adding a sub making for triamp you would be able to dial in the sound to equal levels.
Srvy said:
Very nice and finally a project again. This is just what the Doc ordered.

Welcome aboard!!!

I believe this is referred to as resurrecting an old thread? :happy-smileygiantred:
Rope

Welcome and great project! Curious any background in this field? Between the design and woodwork, a hellava hobby. Oh yea, watch out for the cranky old koots on this forum. :angry-boxing: :angry-boxing: I know, I'm one of them.

Back