• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DVR Options

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
We currently have DirecTV and have a HD DVR in the Den, which is used all the time.

We have just a HD Receiver in the Theater and is not used much at all. However, there are many times I will DVR Music Concerts/Shows from Palladia or AXS TV in the Den. I really want to have this ability in the HT.

What are my options for DVR's in the Home Theater besides upgrading the DirecTV Box to a DVR?

Thanks!

Doesn't DirecTV have a while home DVR option? Genie?

SlingBox is another option but that will require a media PC (or some other bix to get the video off the network and onto the screen) in the theater.

Towen7 said:
Doesn't DirecTV have a while home DVR option? Genie?

SlingBox is another option but that will require a media PC (or some other bix to get the video off the network and onto the screen) in the theater.

I suggested the Slingbox, because he would not have to upgrade to more expensive hardware from DirecTV and could save a monthly STB fee. You don't need a PC for the Slingbox, as there is a Roku client. The top of the line Roku is only $99.

Thus my comment about needing some other device on addition to the SlingBox.

True. I just wanted to make sure he was aware that a $99 Roku would do the trick vs a much more expensive (and arguably more difficult) PC. Adding the Slingbox client to Roku was a bit of a game changer for place shifting inside the home.

I would like to know more about interface and how the Roku would connect to my system.

Would I be recording content from my DirecTV HD Box? Where would the media be stored.

Tom, I am not interested in pay more to DirecTV and really have no requirements for a system like Genie.

heeman said:
Would I be recording content from my DirecTV HD Box? Where would the media be stored.

You need a Roku AND a SlingBox. So your looking at about $150 for the SlingBox (I recommend the 350) plus $99 for the Roku.

The media is stored on your DVR as normal. The SlingBox sits next to the DVR and connects to the audio/video outputs and to your network. The SlingBox uses and IR blaster to console the DVR. You access the SlingBox through a computer, a smartphone, a tablet, or a Roku. The Roku sits in the theater and is connected to the network too. You use the Roku to control the SlingBox which controls the DVR.

I use a SlingBox so I can access my DVR on my mobile devices. I haven't used the Roku app for SlingBox because my Uverse system lets me access the DVR from all the STBs. If the Roku app for SlingBox is free I'll play around with it just for kicks.

heeman said:
I would like to know more about interface and how the Roku would connect to my system.

Tom, I am not interested in pay more to DirecTV and really have no requirements for a system like Genie.

You would connect the Slingbox to the DVR in your main system. The required connections include the placement of an IR blaster to control the DVR. The Roku would go in whatever room you wanted to access the DVR from. The Slingbox client would allow you to remotely control the DVR and watch any content available on it. The only downside is that you cannot watch something different than what the person in that room is watching, because you are using the same source component. If that is not a deal-killer, this would be a pretty cheap and easy fix for your problem.

Yeah, it's a problem for Heeman because he doesn't use an android or iOS smartphone.

SlingBox FAQ Page said:
Q: I don't have an Android smartphone or an iPhone, how do I use the SlingPlayer App for Roku?

A: To use SlingPlayer for Roku, you need to have a Slingbox 500, Slingbox 350, Slingbox PRO-HD, or Slingbox SOLO, as well as the SlingPlayer app running on either an Android smartphone, an iPhone, or an iPod touch.

If a first-gen iPod touch will work, I have a surplus one that could be had for a song.

So if I understand this correctly.......

I can not buy a device to put in Series with my HD box that will record and store Video/Audio?

If you were on cable, you could build a PC with a six tuner multi-stream CableCARD tuner running Windows 7 Media Center and use Ceton Echo extenders as STBs throughout your house. That would give you full DVR capability with up to six simultaneous recording recording or viewing threads that you could fully control and view from anywhere on your network with the caveat being that Echo boxes need an Ethernet connection.

If you were willing to cut back to broadcast channels only and stream everything else from Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc. you could get a two or four tuner headless OTA DVR box from Simple.TV or from Tablo and then use Roku boxes as STBs anywhere that you have good wifi. Another option is USTVNow, which gives you a full-blown cable package and cloud DVR accessed via Roku, iOS or Android. The drawback on that one is picture quality and it isn't really cheaper.

Using a sat provider, your options are very, very limited. You could always get a wireless HDMI solution and pair it with an RF remote.

Back