• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Emotiva?

DIYer said:
^ Then shouldn't it say "Made in USA" at the back of the amps? Or at least say "Made in USA and China"? :think: I think that would be a better marketing tactic. :confusion-shrug:

Not being privy to contracts agreed to by both parties, I have no clue about branding and confidentiallity.

Rope

I don't recall if it was from a link posted here something else I found online, but there was a vague reference to ATI manufacturing a lot of other "name brand" amplifiers.

SH (Soundhound) worked at ATI and among his duties, he'd "fry" amplifiers to help determine their weakest link. Among the brands fried, he made mention of Krell and Mark Levenson. However, he was not fond of his stay at ATI.

Rope

They're big jerks but they make nice amps? :).

After reading SH write up on differential amps in super wary now about buying a differential amp. However, it seems quite a few of the amps made are differential amps. Also, I'm becoming so confused as my ignorance of amplifier technology inhibits my ability to read specs and understand if the amp is "good" or "bad".

It's all subjective and dissecting technical specs is splitting hairs. Get an amp that meets your power needs and has the features you want. Limit your list to reputable manufacturers and models with "good" reviews. If your are buying from a dealer with a showroom see if you can bring your own music and maybe even your speakers. Most on-line sellers offer some kind of exchange policy so the most your risking is shipping (which considering the weight of amps may be significant).

Fred,
Buy Canadian. Buy a Bryston!!! Get one used at Canuckaudiomart. End of story!!! :banana-dance:

^^^Well you probably cant go wrong with that idea. If you can find a used Bryston that meets your needs and your budget.^^^

I also don't think you can go wrong with ATI. I bought my 1505 used for $700 (I think) shipped. It might have been $750 shipped my memory sucks.

Towen7 said:
It's all subjective and dissecting technical specs is splitting hairs. Get an amp that meets your power needs and has the features you want. Limit your list to reputable manufacturers and models with "good" reviews. If your are buying from a dealer with a showroom see if you can bring your own music and maybe even your speakers. Most on-line sellers offer some kind of exchange policy so the most your risking is shipping (which considering the weight of amps may be significant).
^^
THIS!

For all intensive purposes amplifiers are just another "black box".

Rope

I like mcad64's idea of buying used as it maximizes the value (W/$) at relatively low risk for what is basically a commodity (ie. brand name is largely meaningless for solid state amps.) All but one of my many power amps was bought used - from dealers (as trades) through to eBay sellers. My one new amp was bought in 1978 - and even then it was a floor demo. I've had one Carver and one NAD amp that needed servicing, and they were each ~$100 to fix. Small cost compared to savings from buying used.

Jeff

I have a Pioneer M25 that I picked up, I would love to have it checked out thoroughly and then give it a try.

I am not realy scared of used stuff.

Back