• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Film of Russian Grocery store 1980's

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE[/youtube]

For most of us, this happened in our lifetime.

My dad used to tell the story of how he was asked to accompany a team of Soviet scientists and military officers to North Dakota to see our missile silos in the aftermath of the signing of one of the anti-ballistic missile treaties. When they landed in whatever big city they started in, the group was taken on a tour of the city to see how people in the USA actually lived, which included a supermarket. He said there was one high ranking Soviet General who was completely blown away by what he saw. He walked through the front door of the market and just stood there for several minutes staring around, almost like he was confused and stunned. Then, he made everyone wait while he walked down every single aisle of the store carefully looking at the products and asking his translator what most of the items were.

Well, after they finally got on their way to the destination of their purpose, he decided he needed to stop in every single town along the way to see the grocery stores. My dad said the trip, which was supposed to just take 6 hours, or so, ultimately took 14 hours because he wanted to see the inside of every grocery store in every town they went through. He later told the state department attache that after seeing the first grocery store he was completely convinced the Americans were attempting to trick him by gathering all the groceries, meat and produce from around the region and putting into the one store the group was meant to tour. So, he wanted to catch the Americans in the trick by unexpectedly forcing them to stop at one of the stores which wasn't specially prepared just for this group. He even suggested that perhaps the Americans were so committed to their ruse that they left thousands of stores empty around the region just to fill up the dozen, or so, stores along the route merely to impress the Russians and make them think their way of society was a failure.

Basically, he was admitting the communist system was a failure by insisting that mostly empty grocery stores was common everywhere and that there was nothing different between US and Soviet stores. The attache told my father the Soviet general either left in complete denial, thinking the Americans spent a fortune moving groceries into the stores on their route, or else he was forced to accept the fact that the American society and commerce system was vastly superior to the communist system he had spent his life fighting for.

I didn't know your Dad was involved with these inspections. The same kind've thing happened when I was stationed at Grand Forks (this was '93, '94 or so) and we were told a couple of the senior-ranking Soviets actually committed suicide after their return.

The Soviet propagandists were EXTREMELY effective, especially when it comes to the military leaders who worked at their desks and never got out of Russia, Poland or East Germany.

It was even worse in my old country. Most things were rationed. We could only get 1 kg (2 lbs) of meat every two weeks. Now imagine how much meat you ate in two weeks in a family of six.

Flint said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWTGsUyv8IE[/youtube]

Basically, he was admitting the communist system was a failure by insisting that mostly empty grocery stores was common everywhere and that there was nothing different between US and Soviet stores. The attache told my father the Soviet general either left in complete denial, thinking the Americans spent a fortune moving groceries into the stores on their route, or else he was forced to accept the fact that the American society and commerce system was vastly superior to the communist system he had spent his life fighting for.

What are we North Korea?

Sadly, while it may be difficult to believe anyone would even think spending a fortune to move groceries into the stores on their route could actually happen, North Korea is proof
that things like this happen.

It is sad how effective propaganda is and can be.

Wonder what was in those bottles that the lady pulled out of the box for all those customers ?

Again, like I stated in Deacon's post with the pictures from Liberia, HUMBLING!

I am sure many from the soviet union would have been shocked to see how well stocked our grocery stores are.

Interesting.

Every story I've ever heard about Soviets visiting the US usually involves them being absolutely gobsmacked by an American supermarket. When you are used to standing in lines for bread and toilet paper the very thought of not only having as much of that as you'd like, but being able to choose which KIND you wanted would be amazingly hard to believe. Especially if you spent your entire life being told that place was crap and nowhere near as good as the "paradise" of your own nation.

We are so amazingly fortunate here in the US- not only things like this, but the pics Deacon posted. What we consider poor here in the US is a level of wealth darn near unheard of in most of human history... what is wealthy here in US would leave King Solomon feeling like he was nothing but a piker.

Akula said:
We are so amazingly fortunate here in the US- not only things like this, but the pics Deacon posted.

^ I so agree. I have been blessed with buying what I want, when I choose to. Be it groceries, home decor, clothing, etc. I remind myself always, to count my blessings!

Also, the meat items in the video seemed down right scary to even think about ingesting.

Back