• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

First look at the Hopper OTA Module for DISH

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
For you DISH fans, here's a link to a thread from a beta tester on the OTA module for the Hopper:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/297237-FIRST-LOOK-Hopper-OTA-Module

dish-ota-module.jpg

Have a question for you DISH guys. What is the Hopper for & what is the Joey for ?

dish-hopper-joey.jpg
dishhopperjoey12lg.jpg

The hopper is the main whole-house DVR box and can support up to 3 additional joeys for a total of 4 HDTVs accessing the one DVR. It also enables you to pause live tv or DVR content in one room and resume playback at another location (nothing new I know, but new to Dish). If you have additional hoppers they can access each others hard drive as well.

So lets say I have a hopper in my boom-boom room. I could have a Joey in my family room & they don't need a cable to connect the Joey to the Hopper ?
Do you have to have an OTA module for the Hopper & one also for the Joey , so you can watch OTA on both monitors if wanted ( just use one antenna connected to the module) ?

I don't know about the OTA module.

There needs to be a cable running to each box (Joey or Hopper). Essentially, the dish on the roof is connected to the Hopper which has the receivers and DVR. Each Joey is then connected to the Hopper as well (using a splitter/diplexer).

Uverse is the only provider with a truely wireless STB that does not need a physical connection to anything other than the TV set.

I'm using ComKrap with their version of the Hawppa (Motorola RNG200N) and two satillites in other areas. The two satillite boxes are not tethered to the Motorola. Not sure how the satillites communicate with the Motorola.

Rope

There is still a cable going to those boxes right? Just not going all the way to the Motorola?

If so there has to be a splitter/duplexes in the coax network.

Towen7 said:
There is still a cable going to those boxes right? Just not going all the way to the Motorola?

On my Wholehome DTV there is a "black box" about 2x4 where the cable leading to the main DVR goes into and the a cable goes out of that box into the DVR. None of the other units have anything but a straight cable connection.

I think somehow the "black box" sets up a "network" that communicates with the other two recivers.

Towen7 said:

Yes. Two cables, HDMI and coax cable-in from the wall.

Rope

Back