• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

For lack of a better word, "boominess"

FredtheFilmFan

So. As per another thread about sitting down to listen to an album I'm struck by the impression that my audio is a little boomy. Sitting here listening to Dark Side of the Moon (I plan to find some modern music after I rediscover my system) and the time sounds a little boomy.
I have sound panels up as per first reflection protocols. Speakers appropriate toed in, correct seating distance from the speakers and speakers from the wall. Any ideas what would cause this? Paradigm studio 60's v.3 and a Denon AVR 3806. Audessy turned off.

Ya know, yes. Right after I posted I realized I was in 2.1 mode. The Energy Exls10 sub that I have, while at the time of purchase was a great value, is not of the same caliber as my main speakers. It does aid with some movie soundtracks but I don't think it's really very good overall. I will try without the sub and re-asses.

Perhaps down the road I can budget $1000CAN or so to replace the dated sub. :(

Also... room acoustics are often at the root of boom. Assuming the speakers are high quality, a small room or square room can cause a resonating boominess.

The room is at least twice as long as it is wide, but only about half of it is used as the H/T area, the other half is a play area for my kids. I might get a chance to post some pics or a diagram one day and get some feedback on the setup. I'll try just using the speakers and go from there. I will say the imaging seems really good. I think the 60's are pretty good speakers, though they are a few years old.

If the room is very close to being exactly twice as long as it is wide, and if those dimensions have common even-number denominators with the height of the room, you could have standing waves creating nodes and nulls at the same frequencies which in turn will exaggerate the room's bass issues.

For example, if the room is 8 feet high by 12 feet wide by 24 feet long, you will have a ton of modes clustered in the 130Hz to 178Hz range - right where boominess is usually described.

Just over 7 feet tall(drop ceiling) 15.5 feet wide 26 feet long. Seating is 9.5 feet from the front wall. Front of speakers to the primary seating area is about 8 feet. The back of the speakers are about 16 inches away from the wall. I'm going to remove the sub from the system and see how it sounds.

Back