• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Found my sub, it's on its way.

smgreen20

Scratch my Digital Designs sub I was after, I found the true sub I was after, in Canada, and is on its way to me in a few days. I know this is a home site and what I'm into is the auto side of audio, but I'm searching for an answer as I'm struggling with myself and what I want.

The sub I found is the Clarion SSW1201 (see link) and it's a Canadian exclusive, but my "contact" in Canada is doing this for me. W/o giving all of the T/S parameters here's the sealed/ported plots, per Clarion.

Sealed:
Enclosure... = .7 ft^3 net
Qtc........... = .704
F3............. = 44.86 Hz
And rolls off at about 12 dB/Oct (HP)

Ported:
Enclosure... = 1.2 ft^3 net
Fb............ = 28.3 Hz
F3............ = 27.7 Hz
Has a 2dB bump at ~ 48 Hz, on the down slope it's back at 0 dB at ~ 33 Hz and rolls off at about 18 dB/Oct (HP)

Why is it that they say a sealed box has more low end extension then ported, when clearly the graphs show more output at the lower end then sealed?

I prefer ported, in an SQ fashion, because I listen to some music that has some serious low notes (not the R&B/Rap stuff), but like Korn has in the song "Lies" 8 seconds into it. I want to reverse the sub and have the motor exposed and a plexi cover on top of the box over the sub, but the space I have is limited. I will get back an extra 1.5 cubes of space under the rear seat of my truck (my box now is 3 ft^3 gross vs the new on at 1.4 ft^3 gross) and having the motor exposed will take up more space.
Sound will outweigh looks, after all, I don't look at the sub/box as I'm driving, I'm looking forward. What would you do in this case?

http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/products/2 ... 11042.html

I guess I'm going to go with the conventional ported box with the sub mounted in the normal fashion.

Can someone confirm, WinISD does not include displacement for the port nor the sub correct?

Unless you are doing an all out show/competition vehicle, I always preferred the driver in the box. Or, if you can put it in the vehicles trunk where it is absolutely protected.

I always preferred sealed until I finally got a high quality custom box built with the right sub and then i kinda came around to ported. Before my last build too many of the poorly designed and constructed ported boxes I had heard were too boomy.

Wish I could answer your question about WinISD, but I dont know.

Back