• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Goodbye to an Old Friend

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I was really intrigued by the nice stereo systems I saw in dorm rooms my first year of college, 1978. I had a clock radio, but was soon hanging around Team Electronics and got a subscription to Stereo Review. Had my first nice system by 1979, and have been a fan since, and always held a subscription to SR, later named Sound & Vision when home theaters took off.
Today, I got my last issue. They are closing shop, both print and digital versions. My remaining subscription (to Feb/Mar 2027?!?) is being taken up by Stereophile, of which I'm not sure I've ever picked up (I did pick up an Absolute Sound once in an airport when I had finished my book, but it was all glossy, ridiculous-sized and designed speakers, and lots of snake oil (six-foot, $17,000 power cord? Sign me up! :rolleyes: )
I know magazines are dying in this country these days, but this one I've subscribed to longer than any of them, and it's kinda sad. I still get:
Time,
Fine Woodworking,
Cook's Illustrated,
Car & Driver,
and
Popular Mechanics
we'll see how long they last. :confused:

Cook's Illustrated is great!

This is funny to me cause I was just cleaning out a closet in my basement and came across a trove of old S&V mags. If anyone has a use for them you are welcome. (Near Mint condition :p)

Yes, it's sad, and all the more so because this forum and the people in it evolved from the old and defunct Sound & Vision forum. Those were great days with the exchanges and meetups.

I don't subscribe to print copies of much these days. I have online subs to the Wall Street Journal and The Daily Wire, but that's about it. From a pure nostalgia point of view, I'm sad to see S&V go.

Back