• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Theatre is Great, Budgets Suck

It seems like I come up with a budget then over spend it anyway...

Is there a big difference between the pb200 and the pb12 plus? I've never heard, seen or touched one of these subs, so buying one based solely on the recommendation of some audio guys that I trust. Frankly, less expensive is easier to deal with when talking to my wife. The 2000 keeps in budget, but will I be wishing for a plus?

FredtheFilmFan said:
It seems like I come up with a budget then over spend it anyway...

Is there a big difference between the pb200 and the pb12 plus? I've never heard, seen or touched one of these subs, so buying one based solely on the recommendation of some audio guys that I trust. Frankly, less expensive is easier to deal with when talking to my wife. The 2000 keeps in budget, but will I be wishing for a plus?

Well of course you will always be wishing for a PLUS but that goes without saying!!! Duh!! LOL. Did you look at the dimensions of both? Block it out in your room so you realize just how big the plus is!! My room would certainly qualify for the plus due to room dimensions, but what is the point when your wife is going to say "get that huge ugly thing out of here!!". Am happy with the PB2000? Yes!! Of course, I will probably sneak a second one in the back corner in about a year!!!! :scared-eek: But that's just me!!
Mike

heeman said:
mcad64 said:
heeman said:
SVS PB 2000 - $799

SVS PB 12 PLUS - $1399

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box

Heeman,
Fred is in Canada, so that PB2000 becomes $895 Canadian and the PB 12 plus becomes $ 1567. Plus TAX.

Power Sound Audio does not ship to Canada.

Tom V. confirmed they ship to Canada everyday with good rates from Fed-X. 30 day free trial only applies to the US.

Fair enough on the shipping . I did not know that. However, Sonic Boom Audio (SVS distributor) ships for free. And again, unless you have dealt with the border Heeman, it is like some funky voodoo , black hole where duties and brokerage fees are calculated on a scale that only the entities involved in said duties and brokerage fees seem to understand!! Plus, you don't get the 30 day trial. You don't seem to understand what sort of buying power/leverage 316 million people have over 35 million!! :angry-banghead:

mcad64 said:
Fred,
Think SVS. Only because they have a dealer in Canada. HSU and Power Sound Audio DO NOT. You will get hosed on shipping (if they ship to Canada) duties and brokerage fees.
Mike

We actually have very competitive fedex shipping rates for Canada. All of our shipping quotes include all fees associated with the purchase as well(border crossing fee, all customs paper work, declared value fee, etc).

Shipping to much of Canada will only add another $60 or so to the XV15se for example. So the total might be $960. This does not include any applicable sales tax of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Fair enough on the shipping . I did not know that. However, Sonic Boom Audio (SVS distributor) ships for free. And again, unless you have dealt with the border Heeman, it is like some funky voodoo , black hole where duties and brokerage fees are calculated on a scale that only the entities involved in said duties and brokerage fees seem to understand!! Plus, you don't get the 30 day trial. You don't seem to understand what sort of buying power/leverage 316 million people have over 35 million!! :angry-banghead:[/quote]

All of our fedex quotes (XS15se, XV15se, XS30se, MT110 an MTM210 products) always include ALL fees associated with the purchase. The customer will never receiver ANY other fees associated with the purchase. The process is very simple for us (takes me all of about 30 seconds for a quote for example).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

All of our fedex quotes (XS15se, XV15se, XS30se, MT110 an MTM210 products) always include ALL fees associated with the purchase. The customer will never receiver ANY other fees associated with the purchase. The process is very simple for us (takes me all of about 30 seconds for a quote for example).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom,

How do you handle cross-border returns / warranty work?

I've used Sonic Boom / SVS when I've had an issue with a used SVS sub I bought and they were exceptionally good.

In another example I've bought Outlaw Audio products and when I had a warranty issue it was a bit of a nightmare.

The difference: one operates in Canada and the other doesn't. One involved border issues, the other one didn't.

With no disrespect meant, I personally feel that the establishment of a sound buyer / seller relationship (which is surely what everyone should aim for) goes deeper than just the purchase price "all in."

If you've put a system in place that is able to handle all of the intricacies of cross-border purchasing / ownership (without having established a Canadian distributor / warranty service) then you need to promote that. Your excellent products (of which I have now heard a few) will sell even better as a result - including possibly to Fred! :)

Regards.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom,

How do you handle cross-border returns / warranty work?

I've used Sonic Boom / SVS when I've had an issue with a used SVS sub I bought and they were exceptionally good.

In another example I've bought Outlaw Audio products and when I had a warranty issue it was a bit of a nightmare.

The difference: one operates in Canada and the other doesn't. One involved border issues, the other one didn't.

With no disrespect meant, I personally feel that the establishment of a sound buyer / seller relationship (which is surely what everyone should aim for) goes deeper than just the purchase price "all in."

If you've put a system in place that is able to handle all of the intricacies of cross-border purchasing / ownership (without having established a Canadian distributor / warranty service) then you need to promote that. Your excellent products (of which I have now heard a few) will sell even better as a result - including possibly to Fred! :)

Regards.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

With powered subs 99.9% of the time the only thing we'll need to worry about is the amp. In case of the amp needing attention it is very easy to pop out for anyone. Just drop it in any generic box wrapped with a little bubble wrap. We'll send you a shipping label. We repair replace it at no charge and ship it back. All usually within 1-2 business days. There is no problem with any border crossing. We've done 1-2 of these already and everything goes very smooth using Fedex.

A distributor offers benefits to be sure. But let's not forget, no one is working for free. Look at the XV15se and PB12plus....very similar performance(with the plus in max output mode) but the XV15se is significantly less expensive. Oh, and we're made in USA versus all "turnkey china" too which seems to resonate with a lot of our customers.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

JeffMackwood said:
Tom,

That's great to know.

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I should have also mentioned the above procedure is within our 5 year warranty period. After 5 years the customer IS responsible for the return shipping to Power Sound Audio. I can still provide a return label but we would be reimbursed for that. IIRC, this is currently about $45(USA dollars). We will still repair the amp at no cost if possible. But if we need to replace it a fee would be required of course. The shipping from Power Sound Audio back to the customer is covered by us.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

So, why the recommendation of a ported instead of sealed sub? I read about sealed subs being more accurate and "musical". Ported reaching lower and having greater SPL. Is that an accurate comparison? Would one ever run a dual sub configuration with on ported and one sealed to get the best of both? I'm making a future decision based solely on the opinions of the educated minds on this forum as I never have the chance to actually demo anything.

Crappy ported subs tend to be boomy and very heavy, especially if not setup and tuned properly with the system. Since most people run their subs entirely too loud in relation to their main speakers a sub which doesn't rattle the glass and shake your chest as much can actually sound less overbearing. However, in my experience with good subwoofers (like all of those listed and recommended in this thread), if you tune them correctly and blend them well with your main speakers, you will get a much more natural tone, deeper earth-shaking output (when called for) and better overall performance and satisfaction from a vented subwoofer versus a sealed model.

That said, there are some amazing sealed subwoofers on the market and with any good sub you won't be terribly disappointed either way.

I just prefer realism of the deeper bass, delivery of the dynamic peaks, and real faster performance of vented subwoofers.

Thanks Flint.

I feel bad for guys that are in to home audio and home theatre that don't come to this forum. They're really missing out. I've always appreciated the knowledge and lack of BS that I find here. Plus the inside on great companies like Powersound and Outlaw, SVS back a few years, Bluejean Cable. Diamonds in an endless field of coal (or gold in oceans of bullshyt).

Flint said:
I just prefer realism of the deeper bass, delivery of the dynamic peaks, and real faster performance of vented subwoofers.

One more thing is the IB sub Like Flint and others ?

Speed wise I would put the IB as Fast like the Vented Subs.

The IB design is by far the best Subwoofer anyone can put in their homes. For a large hall (or extra large HT) a huge horn is better, but few can pull that off while an IB is in the reach of nearly anyone willing to cut a hole in the wall/ceiling/floor.

Back