• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

IEM Shopping...

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I recently had to hand down my trusty Shure SE2 IEMs to my stepson who had his cheaper headphones stolen at school. These are not my primary pair of IEMs, those are Shure's SE535 earphones. I use the lower cost IEMs when I play the drums to monitor the tracks I am playing along with. They need to provide considerable sound isolation, and the IEM with the squishy compliant insert always works best for me.

Well, I decided to get whatever I loved most on the market and shopped extensively. I wanted to spend about the same amount, around $100, to get the best sounding and noise isolating IEM out there.

Since I happen to work for a company with very extensive product testing labs and I have risen in the ranks enough to gain access to those labs, I made arrangement to spend the afternoon in the mobility lab auditioning all the IEMs they had in there.

After this past CES I could rule out the Morley, Woodees, and all the head candy-esgue crap out there and focus on the higher quality stuff. I chose from their vast collection the Etymotic HF5, Shure SE210, UE SuperFi 5, Klipsch Custom 2, Bose MIE2i, Creative Aurvana 3, and several other lesser known models.

To prep my ears, I listened to my test tracks on my home speakers (perfect as I can get), my AKG K701s, and my Sennheiser HD650 cans. Then I put in some earplugs and went in for the audition.

I am not going into each one individually, but I compared their performance using my Zune, Dell Streak 5, an iPod they had, and a high end custom sound card they had on hand. Without question, the best sounding IEMs were the Shures and UE SuperFi 5 models. The others were either extremely colored in tonal balance (too boomy or too shrill) or presented clearly audible distortion at levels I could never live with.

So I went into critical listening mode and spent an entire hour alone in the lab during lunch switching back and forth between the UE and Shure IEMs. Ultimately, and I was disappointed by this, I chose the Shures. The UE SuperFi 5 sounded very good, but they were finnicky to insert and adjust, and when I yawned or grit my teeth they would deform in my ear and the sound seal would fail, causing the sound quality to suffer.

So, I ordered a pair of Shure SE210 IEMs from Amazon for a fun price of $130 and am happy as can be.

I'm always amazed at the variation in different ears sound preferences, but I suppose that's the reason there's a myriad of IEM/speaker manufactures. At the end of the day, the important thing is that you enjoy the sound of your new IEMs. Congrats and happy listening!

Rope

I used a pair of Shures on stage my last six years as a gigging musician, paid about what you did but that model number isn't familiar (I'm down in Tooele right now so can't check). They've no doubt rolled model numbers, redesigns, etc.
Always wanted to get custom molds/fitting done, never did. The universal tips sealed my ears just fine, until I cracked a smile and that cracked the seal; and I smiled a LOT with that band of goofballs!

Botch said:
I used a pair of Shures on stage my last six years as a gigging musician, paid about what you did but that model number isn't familiar (I'm down in Tooele right now so can't check). They've no doubt rolled model numbers, redesigns, etc.
Always wanted to get custom molds/fitting done, never did. The universal tips sealed my ears just fine, until I cracked a smile and that cracked the seal; and I smiled a LOT with that band of goofballs!

Open your mouth wide, then insert the IEM.

Rope

Very interesting, thanks Flint. I'm actually very close to getting a new set of IEMs myself, primarily for when I need to practice on my piano (electronic, obviously) and the rest of the family is asleep. I have Phonak Audeo PFEs right now, but I've had them for ~3-4 years and they're getting kinda worn out. I do like the over-the ear style, though, because I can easily wear them with the cord going down my back, so it's never in the way of my arms+hands in the front as I play. This is of critical importance to me. But you must have a similar issue when you're playing drums, how do you deal with the cord? Back? Down your shirt? ...? If there are not over-the ear style, do they still stay in well when you're moving around?

If it weren't for the sound isolation issue which is so important to you - but not much at all for me - would you still have preferred the sound of the Shure over the UE?

How about these

6ce85f61.jpg

Pauly -

I've found, when dealing with IEMs, seal/isolation is super important in getting the most an IEM has to offer.

Rope

Sure, but I mean about it being stable to yawning and yelling and chewing and jaw gyrations and whatnot that Flint undergoes when he's drumming. :laughing: If he loses the seal for a second, it can impact his playing if he's using them for monitors. If I'm playing piano in a quiet room, that's not so much an issue - that's really my only point here. It doesn't have to be super-tight.

Pauly - I don't know how other IEMs cables are configured, but the Shures have a sliding rubber sleeve which hold the two wires (left & right) together either under your chin, if the cable is routed to the front, or behind your head just above your neck, if the cable is routed behind you.

When I am just sitting and playing for a few minutes, I can usually run the cable in front of me and the wire hangs down just in front of my shirt. That usually does the trick, but I have to be a little careful not to hit or yank on the cable. If I am doing some serious playing, I route the wire to the back and use an old cable/moc clip off a cell phone headset to clip the cable to my shirt.

^^
All over the ear IEMs that I'm aware of have a cable cinch, unless they're super inexpensive models.

Rope

Ok well I found a good price ($125) on some UE Triple Fi 10's on head-fi, I'm working on a purchase.

Well, never heard back from the triple-fi seller... so instead scored a VSonic GR07 for $130 - confirmed by PM though haven't finished the deal yet.

Ok deal is done, GR07s are on their way! Looking forward to hearing these, after reading many reviews/comments on head-fi. One advantage of buying these used is that they've already been broken in, which some seem to claim is particularly necessary with these IEMs.

Sorry for the hi-jack Flint; I was really close to ordering the Shure 210s, but got lured away by other "ear candy." :laughing:

Flint,
You missed Pauly's question, I was wondering the same...

If not for the isolation issue would you have still preferred the Shure over the UE?

I think I would prefer the Shures. The cable feels like it would last longer and the shape of the casing appears that it fits into the ear better.

The sound quality of both were good - different from each other, but netiher was obviously flawed (like the others I tried which all had some flaw in the sound which would drive me absolutely insane after several minutes of use).

Back