• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this....

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
With a recent studio acquisition, all four of the Indiana Jones flics are now for sale, on both Bluray (~$40) and 4K (~$90):

Boo-Yah!

I saw the first movie in the theater (that was a looong time ago!) and I have one of the other (something about a Glass Skull) on disk, I'd have to look at it to see what format its on.
I will be buying one of these sets, despite my rather lackluster interest in movies anymore. I'm embarrassed to ask, I can't remember: I'm assuming a 4K disk player/television will automatically down-format a 4K disk to Bluray, yes? If so, I'll spring for the 4K set, as my LG TV is 11 years old (doesn't do 4K) and I don't think my Oppo BDP-93, and two spare BDP-103s, do 4K, I'd have to check. I also know, for a fact, that the difference between Bluray and 4K could only be seen by my aging eyes from a side-by-side, about 18" from both screens (the OLED contrast difference, I could see from across the bestbuy store!) so there's that, too.
Any interest, answers, suggestions?

I'm assuming a 4K disk player/television will automatically down-format a 4K disk to Bluray, yes? If so, I'll spring for the 4K set, as my LG TV is 11 years old (doesn't do 4K) and I don't think my Oppo BDP-93, and two spare BDP-103s, do 4K, I'd have to check. I also know, for a fact, that the difference between Bluray and 4K could only be seen by my aging eyes from a side-by-side, about 18" from both screens (the OLED contrast difference, I could see from across the bestbuy store!) so there's that, too.
Any interest, answers, suggestions?

well,

1. just to confirm, you do have a 4k player, since the Oppos do not play 4k disc. and will be buying a 4k player.

2. the link you sent only has the 4k disc, and digital copies. too bad, because most times they'd include blu-ray versions as well.

3. im assuming you have a 4k player, it will definitely step down your 4k content into a playable 1080p display. just fiddle with the settings and you're good to go.

4. 4k is noticeable, but so is HDR, due to a couple of variables (ie. viewing distance as you mentioned, the display size, and of course source material.)

if you are springing for a new 4k player

Sony x700 has served me well, despite blowing out highlights for non dolby vision material when set to auto. it should be about 200 bucks.

there is also the panny UB420, also around that ballpark but does not do dolby vision.

you can get the 820 but at 400 bucks or so. same with the x800mk2....

well,

1. just to confirm, you do have a 4k player, since the Oppos do not play 4k disc. and will be buying a 4k player.

2. the link you sent only has the 4k disc, and digital copies. too bad, because most times they'd include blu-ray versions as well.

3. im assuming you have a 4k player, it will definitely step down your 4k content into a playable 1080p display. just fiddle with the settings and you're good to go.

4. 4k is noticeable, but so is HDR, due to a couple of variables (ie. viewing distance as you mentioned, the display size, and of course source material.)
Thanks, Joms!
I do NOT have a 4K player, just the Oppos, and with enough spares to last my lifetime.
There were a bunch of purchase selections, I just randomly grabbed a screenshot from Amazoid.
I completely forgot about the "HDR" format, don't even know if that's better/worse than 4K.

The main advantages of 4K UHD discs are HDR and wide color range (WCG), not pixel resolution. Regular Blu-ray players cannot play 4K discs so just get the Blu-ray set.

like cmonster said.

on a good day, i totally enjoy the 4k content i have, both physical media and digital.

on logical days, i end up watching a regular blu ray and enjoy the movie either way.

the atmos content, for some odd reason, sounds better on 4k media. or maybe its the placebo effect.

on a sidenote, dont buy 4k for full price, like 30 bucks price. just wait till it drops, down to 20's.

All of these movies are available via streaming. Currently they are included on Paramount + for free and on several other streaming service for 2.99/3.99 rental.

Back